Pilonidal Cyst

What could be the reason for unpleasant odor and redness in anus?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had an issue with my anus area for a while now. The area is always red, and there is always an unpleasant smell (fish). I do not notice any drainage. I have a history of Pilonidal sinus and abscess. I was tested for a few STD's but not all. I think it may have something to do ...  Read Full »

Dr. Hari Pathave

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If possible provide me photographs of affected areas that will help me for a better understanding of your skin problem and proper treatment plan. Photographs required for more accurate diagnosis purpose because treatment given without proper diagnosis can be less helpfu...  Read Full »

What is the possibility of pilonidal sinus recurrence even after surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pilonidal sinus. I had two surgeries one with the endoscopic method and the second one six months before by incision and drainage method. After recovering from this, I had a small pimple on the wound. Doctor said it is normal and it is because of surgery. But now I am having re...  Read Full »

Dr. Lalit Bansal

General Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry. I will help you with your problem. As you said, you underwent surgery for pilonidal sinus two times and now you have one boil at the same site. As I can see in the image (attachment removed toprotect patient identity) it can be boil or recurrence of pi...  Read Full »

Do white pus at the end of tail bone suggest infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 20-year-old male. A few months ago I noticed a small lump on my skin directly on my tailbone. I picked it and it formed into a small dent. I did not think anything of it but for the past one week the same dent has become inflamed on the outer edge and extremely painful to touch. I...  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, you could be suffering from a pilonidal sinus or cyst. Color of pus, yellow or white is not of great concern. What can be concerning is a large amount of pus. Kindly try to quantify it, may be in drops or teaspoon measures. It is a disease of young ...  Read Full »

Kindly explain about pilonidal cyst surgery.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a pilonidal cyst on tailbone and I would like to ask what are the risks? Success rate? How long do I have to be in the hospital? How long until I can go and work or be my normal self?  Read Full »

Dr. Subhadeep Tripathy

General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is very evident from your query that you have got a pilonidal cyst. This condition is mostly common in male sex and more in hairy people. I will ask you a few questions and your co-operation will be invaluable. What is your profession? Do you have to drive for long...  Read Full »

I feel some painful growth underneath my butt skin. Is it something worse?

Query: Hi doctor, I am in excruciating pain and can hardly sit down, walk, stand, or lay without being in severe pain. The pain is coming from my left butt cheek, inwards, and more on top than where the hole is. However, I do not see anything on the skin. I do feel like something is growing underneath the...  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. It seems you are having pain in the coccyx region. The coccyx is a small bone present between the anus and lower end of the spine(sacrum). There are many causes of pain in this region like a pilonid...  Read Full »

Is surgery the only option to cure pilonidal sinus?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 26-year-old male. I have a sitting job (mostly eight to 10 hours a day with no exercise). I was diagnosed with pilonidal sinus a few months ago and was suggested a surgery. As it comes with a long recovery time, I never opted for it. One of the doctors suggested that I just live ...  Read Full »

Dr. Datta Ram Udayagiri

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the clinical images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The reason why this occurs is elusive, although many hypothetical explanations are given. Surgery is the best and only curative option. The wound can be closed without any pr...  Read Full »

After pilonidal cyst surgery, how many days of rest do I need?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a high school senior and about to graduate in two months. On the other side, I have a pilonidal cyst. I know that surgery is required to cure the infection on the inner side. My question is that after surgery, how many days of rest do I need? In short, how many days I have to miss? M...  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The days of rest required will depend on the type of surgery done which in turn is dependent on your pilonidal cyst. It would be safe to say around a minimum of 10 days for the most complicated procedures. In the case of simple drainage type of surgery two to three days...  Read Full »

What to do if pilonidal cyst surgery site has started bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a pilonidal cyst surgery done almost two months ago. I rubbed the area and it has started bleeding. What do I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Subhadeep Tripathy

General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pilonidal cystectomy is the surgical removal of the pilonidal cyst. Some surgeons while operating on the pilonidal sinus, keep the surgical area open in order to heal with granulation tissue. Some surgeons decide to close the wound. In your case, it seems like the woun...  Read Full »