Q. Can local anesthesia under sedation be used to decrease pain while suturing?

Dr. Sukhdev Garg
Published on Mar 02, 2019

My surgeon is recommending local anesthesia with sedation for an umbilical hernia. It is a small hernia as per the surgeon, and a small incision and perhaps 1 or 2 stitches on the abdomen will be needed to repair it and perhaps a small mesh on top if needed. I have had a terrible experience in the past with only the use of local anesthesia for a pilonidal cyst excision. I am on no medication and in great shape with no medical issues except perhaps PTSD from the pilonidal experience. Is any pain from injections to stitching felt if my umbilical hernia is done with local anesthesia with sedation?

Dr. Sukhdev Garg

Anesthesiology General Practitioner
#

I hope you are doing fine. Coming to your query, the efficacy of local anesthesia depends on various factors like the expertise of anesthetist, drugs used, adjuvants, the amount of drug used, etc. For a small and uncomplicated hernia, local anesthesia with sedation is a preferred technique and you can be discharged at the earliest. If you still feel pain or discomfort during the surgery, it can be converted into general anesthesia. So, you do not have to worry, just have faith in your anesthesiologist.

| 

Got injured eyes and stitches done. Will I be able to open my eyes?

Query: Hi doctor, I met with an accident and glass went inside my eyes. I got stitches inside the eye and on my eyelashes. I am not still able to open my eye after five days. My vision is clear. X-ray and CT scan reports are also normal. After how many days will I be able to open my eye?  Read Full »

Will varicose veins cause any complications during endoscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been recently diagnosed with varicose veins in my left leg. I also have multiple heart problems which are right bundle branch block, bicuspid aortic valve, high blood pressure, and patent foramen ovale. I also have Barrett's esophagus and this week, I am going in for an endosco...  Read Full »

Ask an Anesthesiologist Now