Q. Can local anesthesia under sedation be used to decrease pain while suturing?

Dr. Sukhdev Garg

My surgeon is recommending local anesthesia with sedation for an umbilical hernia. It is a small hernia as per the surgeon, and a small incision and perhaps 1 or 2 stitches on the abdomen will be needed to repair it and perhaps a small mesh on top if needed. I have had a terrible experience in the past with only the use of local anesthesia for a pilonidal cyst excision. I am on no medication and in great shape with no medical issues except perhaps PTSD from the pilonidal experience. Is any pain from injections to stitching felt if my umbilical hernia is done with local anesthesia with sedation?

#

I hope you are doing fine. Coming to your query, the efficacy of local anesthesia depends on various factors like the expertise of anesthetist, drugs used, adjuvants, the amount of drug used, etc. For a small and uncomplicated hernia, local anesthesia with sedation is a preferred technique and you can be discharged at the earliest. If you still feel pain or discomfort during the surgery, it can be converted into general anesthesia. So, you do not have to worry, just have faith in your anesthesiologist.

|