Pilonidal Cystectomy

Is surgery the only option to cure pilonidal sinus?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 26-year-old male. I have a sitting job (mostly eight to 10 hours a day with no exercise). I was diagnosed with pilonidal sinus a few months ago and was suggested a surgery. As it comes with a long recovery time, I never opted for it. One of the doctors suggested that I just live ...  Read Full »

Dr. Datta Ram Udayagiri

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the clinical images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The reason why this occurs is elusive, although many hypothetical explanations are given. Surgery is the best and only curative option. The wound can be closed without any pr...  Read Full »

After pilonidal cyst surgery, how many days of rest do I need?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a high school senior and about to graduate in two months. On the other side, I have a pilonidal cyst. I know that surgery is required to cure the infection on the inner side. My question is that after surgery, how many days of rest do I need? In short, how many days I have to miss? M...  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The days of rest required will depend on the type of surgery done which in turn is dependent on your pilonidal cyst. It would be safe to say around a minimum of 10 days for the most complicated procedures. In the case of simple drainage type of surgery two to three days...  Read Full »

What to do if pilonidal cyst surgery site has started bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a pilonidal cyst surgery done almost two months ago. I rubbed the area and it has started bleeding. What do I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Subhadeep Tripathy

General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pilonidal cystectomy is the surgical removal of the pilonidal cyst. Some surgeons while operating on the pilonidal sinus, keep the surgical area open in order to heal with granulation tissue. Some surgeons decide to close the wound. In your case, it seems like the woun...  Read Full »