Q. I have undergone pilonidal cyst surgery. The surgical area has started bleeding. What do I do?

Dr. Subhadeep Tripathy
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 04, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 15, 2018

I had a pilonidal cyst surgery done almost two months ago. I rubbed the area and it has started bleeding. What do I do?

#

Pilonidal cystectomy is the surgical removal of the pilonidal cyst.

Some surgeons while operating on the pilonidal sinus, keep the surgical area open in order to heal with granulation tissue. Some surgeons decide to close the wound. In your case, it seems like the wound has been left open.

If there has been mild bleeding, you can just clean the area with Betadine solution two to three times daily, and apply T-Bact ointment. This will help in faster healing.

If there has been severe bleeding you can take tablet Tranostat (Tranexamic acid) twice daily for three days. This will control the bleeding.

If there has been intermittent bleeding, you will need a dressing to avoid soiling.

|