Q. Please suggest medications for pilonidal sinus.

Answered by
Dr. Srikanth
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 28, 2021

Hi doctor,

I think I am having pilonidal sinus at my lower back just above the butt crack. It appeared a month ago and is a pea-sized bump oozing out pus-like substance. Please suggest medication to treat it early.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Based on your history and the picture (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), it appears you have pilonidal sinus with a granuloma.

Can you give me a few more details? Do you have any fever or pain at the site? Because I would like to rule out any abscess formation at the site.

It requires excision with a skin flap or graft. If there is an abscess, then you need to drain it first. Consult a surgeon for this procedure.

The Probable causes:

Hair follicles penetrating the skin near the buttocks.

Differential diagnosis:


Probable diagnosis:

Pilonidal sinus.

Thank you doctor,

I do not have any fever but a little pain while sitting or touching it, or squeezing it. Can it be treated with medication, antibiotics, or anything? As surgery is my last option. Please suggest or prescribe medications to cure it.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

The problem is once a sinus has already formed, only excision can truly remove the disease. But it is not an emergency, as long as it is not bothersome and there is no abscess formation. You can wait and get an elective procedure.

I will prescribe medication for pain. But I would recommend you go for a planned surgery whenever it is possible, so that you do not get abscess formation or multiple sinus development.

Laser treatment is another option available now.

I would suggest you get a physical examination from a surgeon to confirm the diagnosis and proceed further.

Treatment plan:

Tablet Calpol (Paracetamol) 500 mg for pain, if it is bothersome twice daily after food.

Preventive measures:

Keep the area clean.
Remove the hair around the area.

Regarding follow up:

Follow-up if there is a pus discharge.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

.. gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can understand your concern. As you told that your mother had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), I want to tell you that antibiotics are not the treatment for IB...   Read full

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Your sputum stain says that you have lower respiratory tract infection ...   Read full

How to prevent a red and inflamed scalp due to a head injury from getting infected?

hi sir, im 21 years old male im very slim i want to gain body in a short peroid im doing exercise daily but it tights the body not expanding plz give me an valaiuable sugesstion   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Alzheimer's Disease - an Overview
Alzheimer's is a neurodegenerative condition that can seriously hamper one's day to day activities and quality of life. ...  Read more»
My father is experiencing hospital delirium after ankle surgery. Please help.
Hi doctor, I am concerned about drug interaction for my father. He is experiencing hospital delirium after surgery. My ...  Read more»
Is there a chance for dengue reattack in the same season?
Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with dengue towards the end of last month. I was hospitalized for five days. I went through...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Surgeon Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.