Q. How Do I overcome recurrent and sudden outbursts of pimples on my face?

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

I have multiple pimples on my skin like never before. I have been taking whey protein. I am in college and go to the gym. I have switched my skincare products, but still, I do not know what else to do. Please help.

#

The history and image provided (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) is acne vulgaris. Acne usually appears due to multiple factors, including hormonal changes, climate changes, sudden dietary changes, imbalances, genetic factors, skin products, and gynecological conditions like PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), which presents with menstrual irregularities most often. Still, sometimes the menstrual cycle may be regular as well. To rule out PCOS and in case of menstrual irregularities, I would suggest consulting a gynecologist for the same. For the management of current acne, I would suggest -

1. Salicylic acid 2 %, Glycolic acid foam face wash (AHA glow S foaming face wash), which is readily available online, if not in your country of residence. Apply twice daily, massage gently in a circular motion for one minute, and wash off.

2. Peroclin gel (Benzoyl Peroxide and Clindamycin) 2.5 % to be used in the morning after cleaning with the face wash for two months. Apply only to the acne lesions.

3. Aziderm (Azelaic acid) 10 % cream to be applied in a very thin layer on the affected area on alternate days at night only. Make sure your face is cleansed and dried well. Your hands and face should be absolutely dry without any moisture. Apply the cream in a pea-sized quantity only on the affected areas in a very thin layer. Do not use it all over the face; do not use it in large amounts since the medication is vital and may cause irritation.

4. Tablet Ascorbic acid (chewable) 500 mg to be taken after food twice daily for two months.

5. Avoid sweets, oily, fried food, milk, dairy products, and red meat.

6. Consume more fruits, vegetables, and adequate water.

7. Gynaecological consultation is advised to rule out PCOS as without eliminating the root cause; the management of acne may be time taking.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them and take medications with their consent. Acne may come on and off depending on hormonal changes, climate, and dietary changes. External factors like diet can be managed. However, hormonal factors being internal may not be controlled. Therefore, management of acne may have to be done frequently till the acne lesions lessen in appearance. For this reason, consistency is the key. I hope it helps.

|