Q. I am having red circle on my back. What could it be?

Dr. Rabia
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 27, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 03, 2019

Two weeks ago, I noticed a small red circle on my back. I figured it could be a rash due to me using a bar of new laundry soap. However, within a few days, I noticed the same red spot on the upper part of my stomach (below my chest). When I looked to the rash in my back, it had doubled in size. Presenting a red or pink circle and was itchy. I immediately assumed it was ringworm and began to apply Lotrimin two times daily. However, within a week, the rash has now spread to my stomach area and onto my breasts. The itching has gone, but I am wondering if it could be a ringworm or pityriasis rosea?

Dr. Rabia

Dermatology
#

Yes, these are typical lesions of pityriasis rosea (attachment removed to protect identity). Annular plaques with scaly edges and free at the center. These are not ringworm infection because the center of lesions are filled, whereas, in ringworm, the center is bright. Kindly follow the prescription,

1. Tablet Erythromycin 500 mg four times a day.

2. Apply steroid lotion (like Hivate) plus Calamine lotion (mix both of them and apply bd).

3. Take antihistamine tablet once a day.

Maintain hygiene of area, wash with soap and water.

Pityriasis rosea.

What diseases can we potentially catch from our pets and how to prevent and treat them?

Query: Hello doctor,What diseases can we potentially catch from our pets and how to prevent and treat them?  Read Full >>

Dr. Albana Greca
Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. Toxoplasmosis is an infection from cats to human. We have to wash our hands, maintain cleanliness, and avoid contaminated food. 2. Ringworm can be contracted from spores that survive without a host. Personal hygiene and cleaning of clothes and utensils with hot w...  Read Full

The Manifestation of Ringworm Infection and Its Treatment

Article Overview: I would like to ward off the most common misunderstanding among many people and that is ringworm is not an infection caused by any worm. Ringworm lesions are the most common and also one of the cosmetically annoying fungal lesions. To get to know the ringworm well, we need to go through the basics of it. Read Article

Dr. Narendra

Ringworm is a fungal infection, which is called tinea in medical terms. Ringworm, as the name suggests, is the name derived from the pattern of the lesion that develops in this disease. There is a ring-like lesion at one or more sites over the body. The sites could be anywhere in the body like scalp...  Read Article

My husband has rashes all the time and we are not sure what it is. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,My husband is not willing to go to the doctor because he says it is a heat rash. It is there all the time. Could you please give me an idea of what we are dealing with. It does seem to get brighter when he is hot, but he also is a drinker.  Read Full >>

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted the details about your husband and seen the photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I think your husband is suffering from modified tinea or ring worm infection. This is a fungal condition which is commoner in the hot climates. It a...  Read Full