Q. Kindly give your thoughts about pleural effusion with a mass in my lung.

Dr. Divakara P
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2020

I have recently visited ER due to sob. Then, I was diagnosed with a pleural effusion of left lung. Blood work and urinalysis completed during the visit showed normal values. I had chest x-ray and CT scan, which confirmed such and revealed a mass in this area. I went to medical center the next day for pleural fluid drainage and subsequent sample analysis. The sample results from fluid were clear and the drainage helped with breathing. I just returned from the medical center following the biopsy of that area. My radiologist indicated that the biopsy area was more shallow than he has experienced with other patients. I would appreciate your thoughts. I am currently on Lopressor and Losartan. I had not experienced breathing issue prior to this and it recently occurred just two weeks ago.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

• There are other conditions that can cause pleural effusion like infection, inflammation, etc., but these conditions would have shown in the pleural fluid analysis.
  • The option what you have is to get a PET scan, which will reveal whether the mass is a tumor or something else.
  • But, biopsy of the mass is a better test even if it means to get it done through an operation.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|