Q. Kindly give your thoughts about pleural effusion with a mass in my lung.

Dr. Divakara P
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 24, 2021

I have recently visited ER due to a sob. Then, I was diagnosed with a pleural effusion of the left lung. Blood work and urinalysis completed during the visit showed normal values. I had a chest X-ray and CT scan, which confirmed such and revealed a mass in this area. The next day, I went to the medical center for pleural fluid drainage and subsequent sample analysis. The sample results from fluid were clear, and the drainage helped with breathing. I just returned from the medical center following the biopsy of that area. My radiologist indicated that the biopsy area was more shallow than he has experienced with other patients. I would appreciate your thoughts. I am currently on Lopressor and Losartan. I had not experienced a breathing issue before this, and it recently occurred just two weeks ago.

#

In case of pleural effusion with mass in the lung, any doctor should do the suspect tumor in the lung.

Other conditions can cause pleural effusion like infection, inflammation, etc.; these conditions would have shown in the pleural fluid analysis.

The option you have is to get a PET (positron emission tomography) scan, which will reveal whether the mass is a tumor or something else.

But, a biopsy of the mass is a better test, even if it means getting it done through an operation.

|