Q. Am I prone to lung cancer if I have a strong family history of smoking?

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2022

I am 29 years old, and I have smoked three and a half packs for years in total. I quit smoking three years ago, and I smoked half pack a day from ages 19 to 26. My great-grandmother on my grandfather's side died from lung cancer at 49. She was a very, very heavy smoker, and so was her husband, so she was always around it. Does her dying early increase my risk of getting lung cancer, or does it not matter because she smoked very heavily, but that was several generations ago? Her daughter, who is my grandfather's sister, is in her 70s and has COPD. She was also a lifelong smoker. Should I be worried even though I just had 3.5 packs all these years? I do not know if genetics were still a factor here. Please help.

#

Yes, lung cancer does have a genetic predisposition.

However, it is not that anyone who has a family history of lung cancer will get it.

Various other factors like heavy smoking, pollution, and body immunity also play a role.

I do not find any reason to worry if you do not have any symptoms now and if you have quit smoking.

However, there is no harm in getting a single chest X-ray done to be sure of the current status.

However, if you have any particular symptoms, please let me know.

I would like to know on average, how many pack years does someone smoke get lung cancer? I know anyone can get it but I would like to know on an average. Because I heard you are not even told to get an assessment until you have like 30 pack-years and are above 50.

#

However, in general, it is said that if a person smokes nothing, he has a risk factor of one.

One who smokes 10 cigarettes a day will be 10 times more likely to develop lung cancer in comparison to a non-smoker.

One who smokes 20 cigarettes a day will have 20 times more risk.

One who smokes 30 cigarettes a day is 30 times more likely to develop lung cancer by the time he is 75 years old.

So, this is a rough calculation. However not medically proven.

For more information consult a critical care physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/criticalcare-physician

|