Q. I recovered from COVID-19, and my RBC count is higher than the normal. What can I do now?

Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 23, 2020

I recovered from COVID-19 almost a month ago. Now my RBC count is 8.7, which is higher than the normal. What can I do now? I currently take Noni.

Dr. Zubayeralam

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Thanks for the query.

I can understand your concern.

According to your statement, you have done CBC (complete blood count) test and shown RBC (red blood cell) count is 8.7, which is above normal. Increased RBC is known as polycythemia. The polycythemia may result from hypoxemia, leading to hypoxia, high altitude, obstructive sleep apnea, obesity, hypoventilation syndrome, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, stress, dehydration, cancer, etc. Clinical features are headache, dizziness, weakness, breathing difficulties, the fullness of pressure on the left side of the abdomen due to splenomegaly or enlargement of the spleen, itchy skin, etc. As you have no clinical features at present, so you should not be worried. Observe if any clinical features develop, then contact a physician. But one CBC report never confirms anything. So do repeat the CBC test after a month and then do as needful. In case of any other query, ask me.

| 

Thank you for your reply.

Does it settle itself? Shall I follow any food protocol or anything else?

Dr. Zubayeralam

#

Thanks for joining again.

As you have no clinical features, you no need to take any medication or treatment. And one CBC report has proven nothing. Do repeat two CBC tests concurrently after one month and then plan for treatment if needed. Hydroxyurea (Hydroxycarbamide) is the treatment of choice for polycythemia. Some people take Aspirin. You should reduce the number of animal products like red meat, milk, cheese, butter, white flour, sugar, processed foods, etc. Take lots of green leafy vegetables, fishes, fruit, etc. If any other query, knock me, and I will try to reply to you further.

|