Q. What is your suggestion for polycythemia?

Published on Apr 10, 2017

I am a 37 year old male. I am suffering from polycythemia for the last two years. My Hb is 19.17 and HCT is 51.9. The doctors informed me that it is all due to smoking. Is there any serious problem with me? What will you suggest? Thank you.

Hematology Pathology
#

Chronic smoking can lead to heart failure, chronic lung disease, etc., and hence, polycythemia occurs. It is called secondary polycythemia. With the treatment, the prognosis is good in secondary polycythemia.

But, polycythemia can occur as primary polycythemia as well, and in that case, the prognosis will not be good as it is considered under myeloproliferative neoplasm.

Primary polycythemia called polycythemia vera and for that JAK2 mutation study done by a molecular method to confirm it.

For polycythemia, the treatment is therapeutic phlebotomy in which 250 to 400 mL of blood is removed as per needed frequency.

Our aim is to maintain HCT - hematocrit of less than 45% in polycythemia male patient.

Initially, phlebotomy can be somewhat aggressive with more frequency and then maintained as less frequency. Hydroxyurea drug has proven effective in polycythemia.

Consult a nearby physician for examination with keeping all this in mind and stop smoking as soon as possible.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Are acidity and constipation the withdrawal symptoms of quitting smoking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 year old male and had been smoking for the last 10 years. I smoke four to five cigarettes a day. I stopped it completely for the last 36 days. Now, I am suffering with severe acidity and constipation. I am taking Sompraz 40 in the morning for the last 10 days, but no great impr...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good that you have stopped smoking. But, the withdrawal symptoms do not manifest as acidity. Although it can cause constipation, but not after a month of quitting. Your cholesterol levels are high and it is the cause for persistent GERD (gastroesophageal reflux dise...  Read Full

How does Nicotex chewing gum help quit smoking?

Query: Hello doctor, How does Nicotex chewing gum help in quitting smoking?  Read Full >>

Dr. Sandhya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Nicotex chewing gums are often resorted to, these days, as a means to quit smoking. Nicotex chewing gums too contains a certain amount of nicotine just like cigarettes, but a level slightly less than them. Cigarettes contain around 4000 different chemical components i...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now