Portal Hypertension

A 65 year old has stage 2 liver fibrosis. Can liver fibrosis be reversed?

Query: Hello doctor,The patient is 65 years old. Doctors have concluded liver fibrosis stage 2. In fibro scan, the lymphocytes are 95 %, amylase is 20 U/L, monocytes and macrophages is 5 %. The fluid is hazy in appearance. Can liver fibrosis be reversed?   Read Full »

Dr. Jagdish Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Interpretation of reports. It is F4 fibrosis, not F2. Ascites. No SBP (spontaneous bacterial peritonitis). Portal Hypertension. Chronic liver disease. With this advanced fibrosis, it could not be reversed back.  Read Full »

Kindly guide us with the treatment for my mom's liver disease.

Query: Hi doctor, My mom is 70 years old. She has chronic liver disease, cirrhosis, portal hypertension and ascites. Her creatinine is 3. She also has type 2 diabetes. We were informed by her doctor that her liver is not producing albumin and her bilirubin level is very high. Please guide us.  Read Full »

Dr. Ankur Jindal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your mom's profile suggests very advanced stage of liver disease (attachment removed to protect patient identity). She has advanced cirrhosis of liver, which is complicated by the formation of portal hypertension and fluid abdomen. The presence of kidney injury adds to th...  Read Full »

Please suggest me a suitable therapy for lower back pain.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38 year old male. Four months back, I was admitted in a hospital for stomach ache. After blood tests, ultrasound and a CT scan, I was diagnosed with liver parenchymal disease, mild umbilical hernia and grade III varices. I have never tasted any type of alcohol or tobacco in ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ankur Jindal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you are young and already have cirrhosis with portal hypertension, I need to know the etiology. Get tested for hepatitis B and C, autoimmune liver markers and probably a liver biopsy. Avoid added salt. Monitor carefully for abdominal distension and bleeding. Pain in t...  Read Full »

What is the recommended diet for jaundice?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from jaundice for the past three months. I am feeling fatigued. I have been drinking about 150 mL whisky every day for the past 9 years. But, I did not drink anything in the last three months. I tested for bilirubin, serum, hemoglobin. My liver shrank in size and th...  Read Full »

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Medical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You might be suffering from liver cirrhosis (due to alcoholism) with portal hypertension (enlarged spleen). According to your history, you must be under the category of first stage cirrhosis. The diet includes high protein, low salt and low fat diet. Fluid intake daily m...  Read Full »