Q. I am having excruciating pain and swelling post wisdom tooth extraction. Why?

Dr. Sandeep Menon
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 25, 2020

I had all four impacted wisdom teeth out a week ago. The pain has been absolutely horrible which I knew it would be. However, my left side has healed very well, is no longer swollen with minimal sensitivity. Now my right side is still as swollen as day two or three. It is hard, sensitive and the constant dull throbbing pain is still waking me up at night and literally bringing me to tears.

It is not even the incision site that hurts, it is my entire jawline from my eye all the way down into my lip. My surgeon said this was normal and stuck some medicated gauze there and called it a day. That in which did not help the pain, actually only made it worse. I cannot open my mouth wide enough to even fit a spoon. Should not this be improving by now after seven days? Should I be concerned about the bone fragments or possibly a fractured jaw bone? I am really stressed and my surgeon has provided zero help. I understood that it is four days of recovery time and not seven days of the same miserable swelling and pain with no improvement. I am currently taking Penicillin and Ibuprofen.

#

Let me explain a few things first. Wisdom tooth, first of all, can be fully erupted, partially erupted or totally unerupted, sometimes lying deep within the bone. The swelling of the extraction site depends on the amount of bone removal to take the tooth out. It is not that easy job. It occasionally happens that a nerve lying close to the tooth gets lacerated giving rise to prolonged numbness. Another thing, a chance of fracture is there when the tooth lies too close to the angle of the jaw bone. I would advise you to take an OPG (orthopantomogram) first. Make sure you gargle with Chlorhexidine mouthwash and apply ice packs at least five times daily. It will help reduce swelling greatly. There is nothing to worry though. Keep your mind at ease. Just visit your dentist soon and determine the cause first.

| 

COVID-19 Vaccines in India
Two vaccines, Covishield and Covaxin, have been granted emergency use authorization in India. Read about these vaccines'...  Read more»