Q. There is a sharp hard thing coming out of gums after wisdom tooth removal. What is it?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

I am 30 years old and had to get my wisdom tooth extracted a week ago. The surgery was very complex and painful. Few days into it and I started feeling something hard and sharp coming out from my gums towards my tongue, went to the dentist again. She was not able to take it out so she clipped and ground it, but it is not very smooth and I can still feel it. She told me told me that eventually, gums will cover it. Is that true or do I need to see an oral surgeon?

#

Complex wisdom tooth extractions will definitely have post-operative pain and discomfort. Lucky you that the procedure did not end up in swelling of the gums or face. That something hard feeling is nothing but the bone spicules that is left behind once the tooth is removed. The bony remnants will naturally fade away with time by a process called resorption. A kind of dissolving process. Do not panic about it because that is the process which heals your gums after the extraction. It will take a minimum of two weeks time for resorption but I advise you not to disturb that gums area with any sharp objects or tongue which will purposely delay healing. If any stitches were put, then you have got to remove them by the dentist in seven days from the day of surgery. Gargle your mouth with lukewarm salt water three times daily which will soothe the gums around. Also, do not brush aggressively and avoid hot and spicy food for a week. Otherwise, you will be fine.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Why is there severe pain with bad taste after wisdom tooth removal?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old. I got five teeth extracted, three of them being impacted wisdom teeth, before a week. My jaw is killing me. I have this nasty taste in my mouth. My holes look fine with blood clot present. What could be wrong? I cannot keep taking Ibuprofen and Tylenol, it is making...  Read Full »

Why is there numbness in tongue and jaw after wisdom tooth extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, My lower right side impacted wisdom tooth has been extracted a week back. Till now my half tongue and jawline of the right side are numb or I am not feeling hot or cold at that side. I am so much worried. Is that normal or is it a concern of worrying? I am panicking for getting sense ...  Read Full »

Can clot dislodgement after three days of extraction cause dry socket?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a tooth extraction a week back and three days later, the clot came out of the tooth. Now I am not in any pain. I get the occasional tingle or slight pain but I am terrified of getting dry socket. I am rinsing with salt water every half an hour or so. Should I be worried about it...  Read Full »