Q. Can you suggest any temporary measure to relieve pain in the area from where the tooth was removed?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on May 27, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 11, 2019

I took off my first molar teeth due to careless RCT before a week. And for the past two days, I am having severe pain in the whole region from where the tooth has been removed. Especially it pains after evening time. Can you please tell me any treatment that I can perform now for temporary relief?

#

This is possibly due to dry socket or presence of root fragment left behind in the socket. You can take fresh radiograph fresh and send it with a photograph of the socket to confirm whether it is due to dry socket or root tip.

Kindly consult your doctor to discuss and take the treatment with consent.

1. Amoxicillin 500 mg TDS (thrice a day) for five days.
  2. Tablet Ketorolac 10 mg SOS (as and when needed). Put it on the tooth and you will get relief in a few minutes.
  3. Tablet Zerodol SP (Aceclofenac, Paracetamol, and Serratiopeptidase) BD (twice daily) for three days.

I have a painful lump along jawbone after wisdom tooth removal. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have wisdom tooth extraction pain. I got my wisdom tooth removed a month ago. I feel a lump along my jawbone that hurts on and off.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Get an X-ray done to find out if the wound is healing fine or some root is remaining inside. Usually, after a week, the wound should have healed adequately and there should be no swelling or pain unless it is infected. Start taking an antibiotic and painkillers for a...  Read Full

Why is there swelling of gums near the extraction site?

Query: Hello doctor, Four days ago, I had surgery to remove four impacted wisdom teeth and one molar extraction. Yesterday, I began to develop swelling of the gums near the bottom right incision. Today it has grown up into a bubble covering the top of my back molar. One quarter of the molar is covered by ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Tooba Qazi
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I checked your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity), clinically it is a sign of mild gum infection. Now you can do the following steps to overcome this problem: 1. Take Metronidazole 400 mg twice a day for three days, Augmentin 625 mg twice a day...  Read Full

Had an extraction and bone graft was placed over it. Is there any chance for dry socket?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an extraction of a molar in the morning, and a bone graft was placed over it. My surgeon placed a collagen plug over it to make the graft to stay in place. Can I have a blood clot below it? I am afraid of getting a dry socket. Last time, I had a dry socket, when I had a wisdom toot...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, remove your fear present in your mind. A bone graft present with membrane prevents dry socket formation, and it makes a better environment to have socket healing. Bone graft is not fully utilized in the socket, as it a foreign material. Some amount of graft is re...  Read Full