Q. Can you suggest any temporary measure to relieve pain in the area from where the tooth was removed?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I took off my first molar teeth due to careless RCT before a week. And for the past two days, I am having severe pain in the whole region from where the tooth has been removed. Especially it pains after evening time. Can you please tell me any treatment that I can perform now for temporary relief?

Do you have a question on Post Extraction Complication or Dry Socket?

Ask a Doctor Now

This is possibly due to dry socket or presence of root fragment left behind in the socket. You can take fresh radiograph fresh and send it with a photograph of the socket to confirm whether it is due to dry socket or root tip.

Kindly consult your doctor to discuss and take the treatment with consent.

1. Amoxicillin 500 mg TDS (thrice a day) for five days.
  2. Tablet Ketorolac 10 mg SOS (as and when needed). Put it on the tooth and you will get relief in a few minutes.
  3. Tablet Zerodol SP (Aceclofenac, Paracetamol, and Serratiopeptidase) BD (twice daily) for three days.

Dry Socket - Causes, Risk Factors, and Treatment
Article Overview: Dry socket is a widespread problem that may occur after extraction (removal) of a tooth. Many patients are scared of this condition just after getting their tooth extracted. This article is about the cause, risk factors, and treatment of dry socket.  Read Article »
Dr. Ruchika Singh
Dentist

What Exactly Is a Dry Socket? Sometimes after extraction or removal of teeth, there is throbbing or pinching pain in the region of extraction with a foul smell. This condition is termed as dry socket or alveolar osteitis. It generally occurs two or three days after removal of a tooth. What Can Cau ...  Read Article »

How to treat dry socket effectively?
Query: Hi doctor, I had an extraction of 6, 7, 8 and 9 yesterday. When I got an excruciating pain at night, I went back to the dentist, and the doctor told me that I have a dry socket in 6 and 7. So she placed a pack over it. But less than eight hours, the pack came out, and I started to have pain again. ...  Read Full »
Dr. Gaurav Pandey
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have a dry socket in 6 and 7. It takes time to have good healing. In case of dry socket, socket dressing is an effective treatment. It helps to have fast healing, prevent sockets from having food debris, and it relieves pain. This is the best treatment followed to t...  Read Full »

Why is there swelling of gums near the extraction site?
Query: Hello doctor, Four days ago, I had surgery to remove four impacted wisdom teeth and one molar extraction. Yesterday, I began to develop swelling of the gums near the bottom right incision. Today it has grown up into a bubble covering the top of my back molar. One quarter of the molar is covered by ...  Read Full »
Dr. Tooba Qazi
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I checked your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity), clinically it is a sign of mild gum infection. Now you can do the following steps to overcome this problem: 1. Take Metronidazole 400 mg twice a day for three days, Augmentin 625 mg twice a day...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now