Q. I got my dry sockets packed twice already, then why is the pain not going down?

Dr. Pallavi Srivastava
Published on Dec 25, 2017

I had four teeth extracted a week ago, two on top and two on the bottom. I did not get numb at all, so I felt it all. I was diagnosed with a dry socket on the bottom. The dentist that I went to packed it twice now, after 4 to 5 days. As the extracted teeth were adjacent teeth, so when he packed them, the packing was connected. The packing that was on the top of the gum connecting the two holes ate the bone in between the two extracted teeth. So, I called the dentist, and his nurse said it is normal. She said that the dentist might have done it while suturing the extraction. But it was not there after he extracted. What could this be and what should I do? It is not getting any better, and the pain is getting worse as days pass. No other dentist will see me because it is his work, and not theirs.

Dr. Pallavi Srivastava

Dentistry Maxillofacial Prosthodontist Oral Implantologist Periodontist
#

I have gone through your query.

• Dry socket after extraction is caused due to the blood clot getting dislodged from the extraction socket. So ideally, the dry socket should be curetted, which means it should be cleaned and irrigated with medicine, and obtundent dressing must be placed. This is what your dentist did.
  • The brown discharge or paste is the dressing. It will take around a week to 15 days for the pain to subside. You should go for regular dressings and maintain that area clean. Food lodgement in the socket can again cause infection and give more trouble. It is fine if the dressing is connected.
  • I suggest using Betadine mouthwash twice a day to help in healing. Betadine should be diluted with equal amount of water, and after rinsing with it, you should not drink water for at least 20 minutes.

I hope this will help you.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

I swallowed Povidone iodine mouthwash by mistake. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old. I drank Povidone-iodine germicide gargle 10 ml in the morning and 10 ml in the afternoon. Will it affect my health as I am suffering from gastritis? I am also taking other medicines for acid reflux and my other question is that I feel a burning sensation in my left...  Read Full >>

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Betadine (Povidone-Iodine 10 %) has been used as an external disinfectant prior to surgery for years. The active antimicrobial agent is iodine and is necessary for thyroid hormone synthesis. Excess iodine will be filtered out by the normal kidneys. Povidone is a common...  Read Full

Why do I have bad breath in spite of flossing and using mouthwash?

Query: Hello doctor, Majority of times after I floss and then brush my teeth afterward I use cool mint Listerine mouthwash. I do not understand what is going on but my fiance says I have an unpleasant smell in my mouth. I do not have to be so close to him talking. After I had a wash with the Listerine, I ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You do not need to be frustrated. It is very common. There are various factors affecting your bad breath. You can try these things to improve your oral hygiene. Avoid foods and beverages that cause bad breath, eat more fruits and vegetables, take sufficient amount of...  Read Full

My Teeth Are Yellow.Is Scaling Only A Temporary Process To Clean The Teeth?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am 19 years old. My teeth are yellow from childhood (from 10 years of age). A black layer is formed at the backside of teeth. When I see my teeth it seems very dirty and too much of creamy layer is formed on my teeth especially in lower canines and lower incisors. In the lower teeth...  Read Full >>

Dr. Subha
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yellowing of teeth is mainly due to one of the following or a combination of these: Tartar or plaque deposits (soft yellowish deposits) on the teeth. Calculus deposits (calcified hard deposits) on the teeth. Fluorosis - internal discoloration of the teeth due to ...  Read Full