Q. I have pain and bleeding after molar tooth extraction. Please advise.

Dr. Sreekesh Menon
Published on Aug 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Is it normal for a dentist to not prescribe anything for pain after having a broken molar extracted, and three roots pulled out? My tooth was extracted yesterday, still bleeding heavily. I had fever through the day.

#

Most dentists will offer pain medications if the procedure can reasonably be expected to cause pain that cannot be managed by OTC medication. In your case, I wonder why he has not prescribed any because extracting a third molar root can be a little difficult and the patients will feel pain and discomfort for two to three days.

I suggest your dentist should have prescribed antibiotics like Amoxicillin 500 mg three times daily for three days and analgesics like Ibuprofen or Acecloparacetamol combination three times daily for three days. You should definitely check with your dentist about the medication.

Some reasons why he has not given could be because of the stress the analgesics will cause to your liver when taken in overdose as I can see you have already taken some painkillers in the past. Or maybe he might have quickly taken the roots of your molar out and was expecting a quick healing.

Anyway, if you still have pain you should definitely go back and check with your dentist.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

How can we stop excessive bleeding from tooth extraction site?

Query: Hi doctor, It has been eight hours now. I have extracted three teeth at the same time. There is excessive bleeding from the extracted site. Is this deadly?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Drink a lot of water and follow the medication prescribed by the dentist. You can use ice in the extracted site to stop the bleeding. If it still continues to bleed, consult your dentist. If it stops, then from the next day, rinse mouth with salt water and turmeric mixt...  Read Full

Why am I having pain after two weeks of wisdom tooth removal?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my upper left and bottom right wisdom teeth extracted 15 days back and ever since have been experiencing the worst jaw pain. I am barely able to open it most of the time with the exception of a few hours when the pain dulls down. Once it becomes intense again, it starts from my ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, it is not common to have pain till now. Go back to your dentist as soon as possible. You may have dry socket condition due to infection of the wound. Use warm salt water gargle twice a day for a week or two. Exercise your jaw to open as much as possible so that d...  Read Full

Why is there swelling of gums near the extraction site?

Query: Hello doctor, Four days ago, I had surgery to remove four impacted wisdom teeth and one molar extraction. Yesterday, I began to develop swelling of the gums near the bottom right incision. Today it has grown up into a bubble covering the top of my back molar. One quarter of the molar is covered by ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Tooba Qazi
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I checked your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity), clinically it is a sign of mild gum infection. Now you can do the following steps to overcome this problem: 1. Take Metronidazole 400 mg twice a day for three days, Augmentin 625 mg twice a day...  Read Full