Q. I have pain and bleeding after molar tooth extraction. Please advise.

Dr. Sreekesh Menon
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Is it normal for a dentist to not prescribe anything for pain after having a broken molar extracted, and three roots pulled out? My tooth was extracted yesterday, still bleeding heavily. I had fever through the day.

#

Most dentists will offer pain medications if the procedure can reasonably be expected to cause pain that cannot be managed by OTC medication. In your case, I wonder why he has not prescribed any because extracting a third molar root can be a little difficult and the patients will feel pain and discomfort for two to three days.

I suggest your dentist should have prescribed antibiotics like Amoxicillin 500 mg three times daily for three days and analgesics like Ibuprofen or Acecloparacetamol combination three times daily for three days. You should definitely check with your dentist about the medication.

Some reasons why he has not given could be because of the stress the analgesics will cause to your liver when taken in overdose as I can see you have already taken some painkillers in the past. Or maybe he might have quickly taken the roots of your molar out and was expecting a quick healing.

Anyway, if you still have pain you should definitely go back and check with your dentist.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|