Q. When should I go for a review after septoplasty and maxillary antrostomy surgery?

I had septoplasty and maxillary antrostomy four weeks back, but I still have swelling in the nose. My Rhinocort nose spray does not stay in my nose when I spray it. I rinse my nose with saline four times a day, and still, my nose is dry. I am going to get a doctor's appointment after eight weeks, is it too late? Is it normal that nose spray will not stay in the nose?

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• After the surgery, it is advised you schedule an appointment with the ENT surgeon in about a week. This visit enables the surgeon to assess the healing, any crusting, infection, etc. Eight weeks may be too late.
  • The nasal spray forms a mist inside the nose when you spray, which is sufficient. Make sure you direct the Rhinocort (Budesonide) spray laterally and not towards the septum (the midline) so that it acts on the maxillary antrostomy area (lateral wall of the nose).
  • Ideally, do the saline washes thoroughly, follow it up with the Rhinocort spray and not vice versa. It is normal if after the spray some amount of it spills down from the nose or goes into the throat.
  • Your nose should not be dry. I would suggest you use 0.5 % Menthol paraffin nasal drops for lubrication, after consulting your doctor. These drops are excellent and do not cause any irritation. Dryness should be prevented by all means because it hampers with mucociliary clearance, causing stasis and predispose to infection.

Hope you feel better soon. Do revert if you need any more help.

For further queries consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|