Q. How to make a 14 months old baby start eating after adenoid surgery?

The patient's adenoids were removed before five days. He was taken to the recovery room and was so cranky. His breathing was funny, so he was put on oxygen. In about 45 minutes he was able to breathe on his own, he coughs and get a lot. We bought grape juice, ice cream, and milk. He is mostly cranky and would not want to take anything. His mom sometimes had to force him to take milk. It is 2 AM, and he is up. We figure that it may be hard to sleep if the tummy is empty. Please help us. What methods can we adopt to make him start eating? He is only 14 months old. He gets cranky and cries to sleep. He is always pushing away the food.

#

• Please feed him breastmilk. Encourage him to suck, and the feed needs to be started after about 4 hours of the procedure.
  • Also, to relieve the pain give him painkiller syrup say about 5 mL of Paracetamol (125 mg per 5 mL) given thrice or four times will alleviate the baby from suffering. If he does not take syrup and if an IV canula is in place, then you may give Paracetamol injection also.
  • Milk should not be warm. Can be normal temperature or slightly cold.
  • After adenoid surgery, we give nose drops to prevent bleeding. They come in the name of Nasivion or Otrivin. Make sure it is a pediatric dosage. Otherwise, plain saline nasal drops also will be helpful.
  • Do let us know how the baby is doing. He should be fine. Do not worry. If you require any more support, please revert to me.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|