Q. I need help for my rebound nasal congestion.

Answered by Dr. Shyam Kalyan N and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Rhinitis Medicamentosa or Decongestant? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am here to get help for rebound nasal congestion. Two years ago, I started using Oxymetazoline nasal spray for mild allergy. I continued using it because I thought my allergy is persistent. Recently, I realized that my problem is not an allergy but addiction to nasal spray. My symptoms are severe nasal congestion which requires using nasal spray four to five times. I have no typical symptoms of an allergy, like a runny nose, watery eyes, or irritation. Above all, I become very upset and anxious if I do not use the nasal spray. I tried to stop the usage of nasal spray, and somewhat successful. But at times my congestion is severe and it seriously affects my activities including sleeping. It would be great if you can suggest some alternative for nasal decongestants. I am a 29 year old male, who is under treatment for mild hyperuricemia.