Posterior Vitreous Detachment

Can increase in number of vitreous floaters in eye cause PVD?

Query: Hi recently started seeing vitreous floaters a few weeks ago. I noticed it before 8 months that my floaters were getting a bit different, I had had a few for about twenty years. I now have quite a few in both eyes and they also come with something that I would describe as jelly that is not really no...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, There is a jelly like substance in the eye called Vitreous and as age progresses it starts to liquify and you start seeing floaters. Or when the Vitreous gets detached from retina you see floaters and flashes. You should go to an Ophthalmologist immediately in case if there is increase in n...  Read Full »

Is PVD with eye floaters and flashes treatable?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a PVD in my right eye. I have seen two eye doctors and have follow-ups scheduled. I have experienced new floaters, and the flashes have continued since seeing my doctor. I recently developed a clear film in the eye, which my doctor assured me was fine as long as I did not see s...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a jelly-like substance in the eye called vitreous, and as age progresses, it starts to liquefy or detaches, and you start seeing floaters. You should go to an ophthalmologist immediately in case if there is an increase in the number of these floaters or if y...  Read Full »

Can retinal detachment result in large eye floaters and itching?

Query: I have a very large floater in my eye, I was taking a shower last night and my eye was itchy and I rubbed it. It’s a holiday here and my eye doctor is closed. I’m worried could I possibly have a detached retina but I don’t want to go to the ER if it’s unnecessary. Eye doesn&r...  Read Full »

Dr. Asha Barboza

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing in. Is the floater a single squiggly line, a ring or a bigger shape that is black in colour that obstructs your line of vision? Your correct age is not mentioned or if you had short sightedness before cataract surgery. You might have developed something called a PVD (poste...  Read Full »

Can PVD and retinal detachment cause flashes of light in the eyes?

Query: Hi doctor, I saw brief flashes of light under my left eye thrice this week. Now suddenly, I sometimes feel the light of my room is flickering, but it is not. Is it only in my vision?  Read Full »

Dr. Asha Barboza

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for writing in. Flashes of light without any symptoms of eye pain or headache usually indicate the irritation of retina, which is being pulled on often by the vitreous a jelly-like substance inside the eyeball. The ophthalmologist should check out persistent f...  Read Full »

What does retinal detachment mean?

Query: Hi doctor, While blinking my eyes, some round shaped image is appearing in my left eyelid. I seek doctor’s advice and he said that I have a retinal detachment. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The round images you see are called floaters. These are associated with posterior vitreous detachment (PVD). With PVD there may be a break or hole in retina and that can lead to retinal detachment (RD). With retinal detachment initially there may be a curtain in the visua...  Read Full »

How long will floaters in the eye last?

Query: Hello doctor, I have eye floaters. I have done the retina exam by dilation, vision test, etc. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I hope you are enjoying good health. What are your questions about floaters?  Read Full »

What medicine do I need to clear the fluke in the eyes?

Query: Hello doctor, I think I have a trematode (fluke) on my eyes and it seems to enter behind the eye as well. The trematode passes the vision at times and I can then distinguish the structure of the body, quite complex body and transparent. When I go to the mirror to see it I cannot. Wh...  Read Full »

Dr. K K Agrawal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your problem, I am not very sure that it is a (fluke) trematode in your eye. By the description of the anomaly that you are giving, I think it is a floater. Just check for images of floaters eye on google and you should see exactly what I am talking about. ...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for eye flashes which occured following an accident?

Query: Hello doctor, I have eyes flashes for about five years now. After I have an accident on my nose it looks like the liquid in the eyes is moving or pulling. What treatment I can do? Although I did a lot of tests for retina, what else I can do insted of waiting to see if this problem stops by it self...  Read Full »

Dr. K K Agrawal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Flashes in front of eyes is a classical sign of retinal detachment and posterior vitreous detachment. You should get your retina checked by a vitreo retinal specialist. Since you had trauma near your eye just before these flashes started, there is a strong possibili...  Read Full »

I have been getting flashes in eye during the night. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been getting flashes on my right eye during the night. It is either a white or orange light. I am concerned.  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Flashes may be due to central cause like irritation in brain for example in migraine (half sided headache) people can see flashes of pattern of light. Do you have any headaches while observing these flashes? Or some local cause in eye can cause flashes. Sometimes jelly...  Read Full »

Why is there a flash of light when I see side to side?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an odd thing happening in my left eye. I see a flash of light when I look right to left in the left side of my eye. It is a curve from top to bottom. It happens in daylight, nighttime, and even in the dark with my eyes closed. I move my pupil left to right and see a bright arc ...  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This occurrence of flashes of light can be due to various causes. The first and the most probable cause could be posterior vitreous detachment, this is a benign condition not requiring any treatment. Here, you may experience some floaters but no reduction in vision or ...  Read Full »