Q. I recently started seeing vitreous floaters. Is it due to PVD?

Dr. Prashant Koranmath
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 15, 2021

Recently, I started seeing vitreous floaters a few weeks back. I noticed it eight months back. But my floaters are getting different. I had a few of them for twenty years. Now I have a few of them on my both eyes. They also come with something called jelly and they are not really noticeable unless I see through lights. In my twenty years of age, I had PVD with flashes of light. I had few floaters. But this time, I did not have any flashes of light. I want to know whether this can still be PVD. I do not have any flashes. I consulted an ophthalmologist and he told that everything is fine. He did imaging on my both eyes. He found nothing abnormal. Can these floaters become alleviated in the future? I had a postpartum stress period with a lot of anxiety and panic attacks. Does it have any relation to this issue?

#

There is presence of a jelly-like substance in the eyes called vitreous. As the age progresses, it starts to liquefy and you start seeing floaters. You can also see floaters and flashes when vitreous get detached from the retina. You can consult an opthalmologist immediately if you have any increase in the number of these floaters or if you see flashes of light as these are the signs of retinal detachment. Check your retina. Even if you see an increase in the number of floaters, you need to check your retina. Floaters appear only in bright lights or while seeing white background. If your retina is fine, then you can ignore them.

I consulted a doctor and he told me that my retina is fine. Do I need to go back again? Can this be PVD? Can I have it twice?

#

Yes, posterior vitreous detachment or PVD can occur at multiple sites. You have to check your retina when you have an increase in floaters or when you see any flashes as these are signs of retinal detachment.

|