Q. I recently started seeing vitreous floaters. Is it due to PVD?

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Hi recently started seeing vitreous floaters a few weeks ago. I noticed it before 8 months that my floaters were getting a bit different, I had had a few for about twenty years. I now have quite a few in both eyes and they also come with something that I would describe as jelly that is not really noticeable unless I am seeing through the light. In my twenty's I had what was PVD with flashes of light and those few floaters that remain, this time around I did not have flashes of light but I want to know if this could still be PVD? Also, I have no flashes this time, I went to the eye doctor and he said I was fine, he did imaging on both eyes. He found nothing to be concerned of as of now. My question is, could this floaters be alleviated in the near future. I went to a postpartum stress period, had a lot of anxiety and panic attacks and I wonder if that had anything to do with these set back.

#

There is a jelly like substance in the eye called Vitreous and as age progresses it starts to liquify and you start seeing floaters. Or when the Vitreous gets detached from retina you see floaters and flashes. You should go to an Ophthalmologist immediately in case if there is increase in number of these floaters. Or if you are seeing flashes of light.

Because these are the signs of RETINAL DETACHMENT. Get retina checked. Take care. Even if you see increase in number of floaters Retina has to be checked. The Floaters appear only in bright light or while seeing white background. If Retina is fine the you just have to ignore them and get used to them

I went to doctor and he said retinas are fine, do I need to go back then? Will this be PVD again, can I go through PVD twice?

#

Yes Posterior Vitreous Detachment or PVD can occur at multiple sites. It's just for safety you should get Retina checked if the floaters have increasedI tell all my patients to come for checkup immediately if number of floaters increase or see any flashes because these are sign of Retinal Detachment

|