Q. I have eye flashes for about five years after an accident. What treatment can I do?

Dr. K K Agrawal
Published on Dec 15, 2019

I have eyes flashes for about five years now. After I have an accident on my nose it looks like the liquid in the eyes is moving or pulling. What treatment I can do? Although I did a lot of tests for retina, what else I can do insted of waiting to see if this problem stops by it self? And I have dryness also.

Dr. K K Agrawal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Flashes in front of eyes is a classical sign of retinal detachment and posterior vitreous detachment. You should get your retina checked by a vitreo retinal specialist.

Since you had trauma near your eye just before these flashes started, there is a strong possibility of posterior vitreous detachment. If your retina is fine maybe it is your brain. But this can be certainly told only by an ophthalmologist. Sometimes during accidents or falls, the occipital lobe (the part where vision center of the brain is lodged) may get injured. Or the optic nerve might be compressing. Again, this can only be told by a thorough examination and head CT (computed tomography) or MRI (magnetic resonance imaging).

Flashes in front of eyes is a very important symptom and a dangerous one too, and you should get treatment immediately. Furthermore, if you want a better opinion from me, please follow up with the following details:

1. Spectacles, if any.

2. Previous history of cataract operations.

3. Age.

| 

I am the same person who asked about that I have flashes in my eyes for five years or six years and I just want to make clear that I have flashes in sides of both eyes and not in the middle or center of vision although some time comes in the middle of the left eye but rarely. The accident was a hard downfall on the nose from a bike and I hit my head hard on the ground.

When I went to the doctors they said your retina is fine, and they may stop by it self. Now after six years nearly I still have it. Now I do not use glasses and I did not do any cataract surgery. My age is 29 years. My right eye is a little bit weaker than the left, but doctors said I do not need glasses your vision is fine. But the problem is that I do not want to wait until some thing happens to my retina and some how I do not think this flash is going to stop. You said it could be a nerve pressure or the head and you should get treatment. What kind of treatment should I get? Because I remember one doctor said to me most of the people who have flashes from injures take two years maximum and this thing is unusual and he just did an examination to my eyes with eye drops. Now, what can I do instead of waiting? Please help.

Dr. K K Agrawal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Flashes in front of both eyes for the last five years (after trauma), and still not causing any new symptoms nor any complications from it. I do not think you should worry too much. This should not do any harm whatsoever.

Since you do not have any accompanying vision loss or other symptoms, then most probably it is a minor problem. Sometimes the vitreous humor gets liquefied (originally a gel) due to trauma. These flashes are generally caused by that and the problem is usually not progressive. That is why you feel like liquid is moving and pulling in to your eyes.

However, you should visit a retina specialist to do indirect ophthalmoscopy to rule out any peripheral retinal lesion that maybe causing it. They will do it by dilating your pupil with a drop and visualizing your retina for any problems.

| 

Kindly give your expert advice for my father's eye problem.

Query: Hi doctor, My father, who is 53 years old, has been diabetic for the last 20 years and takes Insulin. His eye problem started before a year. Due to which there is blurred vision and everything he sees seems red. According to physicians, there is a blood clot on the retina and for which they have...  Read Full »

Can divergent eye squint be treated with surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a complete retinal detachment in my left eye from an early age (11 to 12), went to many places including renowned eye care hospitals but nothing worked. Anyways, after a few days my left eye started to go outward and within a short time went completely outward (divergent squint...  Read Full »

Why am I seeing flashes of light in side vision?

Query: Hello doctor, Sometimes I see flashes of light as kind of line in the side vision. That too where more light focus is there on the walls, etc. That too if I observe clearly.  Read Full »