Q. Is it normal to have PVD with eye floaters and flashes?

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

I have a PVD in my right eye. I have seen two eye doctors and have follow-ups scheduled. I have experienced new floaters, and the flashes have continued since seeing my doctor. I recently developed a clear film in the eye, which my doctor assured me was fine as long as I did not see shadows or vision loss. I constantly feel like I have something in my eye, and I just looked, and the eye is super red and bloodshot. I wonder if this is normal or if I should seek help at the fear of retinal tear.

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

There is a jelly-like substance in the eye called vitreous, and as age progresses, it starts to liquefy or detaches, and you start seeing floaters. You should go to an ophthalmologist immediately in case if there is an increase in the number of these floaters or if you see flashes of light. Because these are the signs of retinal detachment, please check your retina.

If PVD (posterior viterous detachment) happens, only vision will be affected, not eye redness. Redness may be due to allergy or due to infection. Is there watering or discharge from the eyes?

| 

No, not much of either discharge or watering. I have a few morning eye crust. I have seen two eye doctors, and my retinal specialist advised that I am 80% through my PVD completion. He told me flashes would continue as the PVD still completes. He also said a few new floaters were normal. And I have not lost vision.

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Then redness may be due to allergy. Use Albalon (Naphazoline hydrochloride) eye drops two times a day for two weeks, and Refresh Liquigel eye drops three times a day for one month. Flashes will continue throughout PVD (posterior vitreous detachment). Yes, few floaters are normal.

|