HomeAnswersOphthalmology (Eye Care)eye floatersWhat medicine do I need to clear the fluke in the eyes?

I have a fluke inside my eyes. How to treat it?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At December 24, 2019
Reviewed AtJuly 23, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I think I have a trematode (fluke) on my eyes and it seems to enter behind the eye as well. The trematode passes the vision at times and I can then distinguish the structure of the body, quite complex body and transparent. When I go to the mirror to see it I cannot. What type of fluke can do this, live on the eyes and globe and also enter inside and behind the eye? And what medicine do I need to treat this? Triclabendazole or is there other medicine? I have tried with Praziquantel and it did not work. Also, I have tried Ivermectin, Albendazole and Mebendazole but it is stil in my eye. What can I do it is very painful and do I need a rehab treatment or sort like Cortizone or is it not necessary?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Regarding your problem, I am not very sure that it is a (fluke) trematode in your eye. By the description of the anomaly that you are giving, I think it is a floater. Just check for images of floaters eye on google and you should see exactly what I am talking about. Floaters are generally harmless and are present without any apparent visual loss and no significant lifetime morbidity to the eye. In some cases, having a floater can be a dangerous sign, which may signify posterior vitreous detachment, retinal tears, and other vitreoretinal pathologies. To diagnose further I will need the duration since when you have started seeing these floating objects in your eyes. If they have started very recently then it can be a start of posterior vitreous detachment or retinal detachment or tear and therefore, you should consult an ophthalmologist, preferably a vitreo retinal specialist immediately. In case of chronic, long term duration, most probably it is harmless and therefore you do not require any treatment if it is not affecting your vision significantly, but still, you should consult an ophthalmologist for eye examination regarding your problem to rule out any other issue. I hope this helps.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Agarwal Krishna Kumar
Dr. Agarwal Krishna Kumar

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy