Q. What could be the reason for spotting in a postmenopausal woman?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 20, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2022

I am a 55-year-old woman. I stopped having periods three years ago. I visit my doctor every year for a gynecological physical and regular physical. My regular physical last year was great and my gynecological physicals have always been good as well except for uterine fibroids. My last GYN visit was four months ago and everything was fine. I have never had an abnormal pap smear. I have had the fibroids for almost 20 years. During my last GYN visit, all my tests were normal and my doctor said my fibroids were shrinking.

A week ago today I saw what I thought was a very small amount of blood on my poise pad. It has not happened since. This has never happened in the last three years since my last normal period. I also suffer from OCD and anxiety and I am always to myself. I am not even sure it was blood to be honest and of course, I will call my doctor and make an appointment for next week. It was not brown spotting and it was not bright red either. I do not have a UTI or pain in my abdomen or anything. Again, it was very, very small and light. I am thinking perhaps I had something on my hand and it touched my pad and I did not notice it. A little insight would be helpful. I am currently on Valsartan and Prozac.

#

It is blood spotting and it may be due to the presence of fibroids in the uterus or due to non-infective endometritis or due to some hormonal change.

All these may occur after a gap of few years post-menopause, rarely Prozac may also cause bleeding. It may not occur again, anyways you have to see the gynecologist.

I know I have to see the doctor and I will. I already have an appointment.

#

You are most welcome and best wishes.

|