Q. Which is the best treatment option for postmenopausal vaginal discharge?

Dr. Sunil Jagdish Yadav
Published on Apr 28, 2017

I am a 52 years old female, who weighs 75 kg, and I am 152 cm tall. I have postmenopausal vaginal discharge with a fair amount of red spots. What could be the cause? I had my menopause 1.5 years back, and I have type 2 diabetes, hypothyroidism, and asymptomatic cholelithiasis from last 15 years. After consulting many experts, we got three views, first is to carry out a biopsy and D and C, in the absence of malignant cancer, then we do not need to opt for hysterectomy (even with the endometrial thickness of 9 mm). Second, is to remove the uterus and the cervix, but keep the ovaries, as ovaries still produce 20 to 30% of the required hormones even after menopause. Third, is to remove the uterus and ovaries altogether and carry out the biopsy through frozen section at the time of TLH. Which is the best option, and why? What happens to hormone productions (even if it is 20 to 30%) after removal of ovaries? If ovaries are removed, do we have to get HRT? I have enclosed an ultrasound of the lower abdomen, transvaginal ultrasound, pap smear, MRI of the pelvis, and blood reports.

Dr. Sunil Jagdish Yadav

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have seen all the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

First, D and C (dilation and curettage) with cervical biopsy with acetic acid or Lugol's iodine should be done as you have postmenopausal spotting with thickened endometrium of 9 mm, with associated risk factor that is diabetes. This is required to rule out malignancy.

Also, an antibiotic course should be given. Once this test is normal, then serial ultrasound every three months can be done to check for the endometrium thickness. Or if symptoms continue then you can opt for a hysterectomy.

Removal of ovaries after menopause can be done as hormone reduces significantly, the only problem with that may be postmenopausal symptoms like hot flushes, recurrent vaginitis, and osteoporosis, which we can deal symptomatically.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Will an ultrasound be able to monitor the endometrial lining thickness accurately, or do we have to go for an MRI? Will D and C remove the existing thick lining? Will there be a chance of fibroid hemorrhage during D and C?

Dr. Sunil Jagdish Yadav

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• See D and C is not a therapeutic procedure, but it is a diagnostic procedure. In your case, D and C is to rule out the cause of postmenopausal spotting.

Do not do a lot of web research, just consult your local gynecologist and proceed.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

What does waterlike vaginal discharge indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, My aunt is 31 years old and had her uterus removed 11 years ago. From then she never had the periods nor any discharge. It was all alright until a month ago. She had suddenly started experiencing waterlike vaginal discharge which is little smelly, and it hurts in stomach sometimes. When s...  Read Full »

84 year old feels pain in vagina on standing. Please advise.

Query: Dear doctor, My mother is 84 years old and when she walks or stands, she feels severe burning pain in her vagina. Can you please suggest a medicine?  Read Full »

I am nearing menopause and periods have become irregular. How to manage?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 48 years old. I have been experiencing irregular periods, which I realize as normal as I am entering menopause age. Last month, I did not get my period. But, this month it has been a heavy and lengthy one for more than 17 days now. I felt the normal fatigue and today, I have been fe...  Read Full »