iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersRadiologytransvaginal sonographyWhat does my transvaginal ultrasound reveal?

What could cause a 62-year-old woman to have light bleeding after attaining menopause?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 18, 2022
Reviewed AtOctober 10, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I have attached images from transvaginal ultrasound that I would like you to interpret. I ordered this examination because I noticed light bleeding. I am a postmenopausal women of 62 years old.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I went through the images (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) you provided along with your medical history.

For your age and post-menopausal status, the endometrium (inner lining of the uterus, which one bleeds during menstruation) is relatively thickened. It shows cystic changes within the endometrium (for the post-menopausal state, the endometrial thickness is about three to four mm or even less. Yours is about 9.7 mm).

As you had an episode of post-menopausal bleeding, it is imperative to rule out endometrial cancer, for which a fractional endometrial curettage or biopsy followed by histopathological examination is necessary.

I hope and pray that your report turns out to be negative.

Best wishes.

Investigations to be done

The investigations include fractional endometrial curettage or biopsy followed by histopathological examination.

Regarding follow up

Do follow up with reports.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Jain Padmesh Satishchand
Dr. Jain Padmesh Satishchand


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy