Q. Is it true that excess intake of potassium chloride causes cardiac arrest?

Dr. Bharat Patodiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 29, 2020

By mistake, I had potassium chloride powder of one teaspoon today, just before an hour. When I checked on the internet, it says that it may cause cardiac arrest. How true is that? What should I do now to avoid any side effect?

#

• If you do not have any kidney dysfunction, then there is nothing to worry.
  • One teaspoon will give potassium equivalent to around 50 to 60 meq and for which our body has capacity to excrete that if there is no previous kidney and cardiac complaint.
  • It may cause acidity, so take adequate plain water. Avoid potassium-rich food like coconut water and fruits for three days. Do not worry, you will be fine.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|