Q. Will cardiac ablation worsen POT syndrome?

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 11, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 23, 2019

I have had POTS syndrome for 5 years and recently had loop recorder implanted. I have been told that I have atrial tachycardia and need ablation. Will ablation make POTS worse?

#

I assure you not to worry as everything is going to be fine soon. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine concerns.

No, cardiac ablation will not cause any derangements in your progressing disease of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). It will rather help improve the symptoms of the disease and will lower the racing heart (tachycardia) feelings.

I advise you to do aerobic exercise on a regular basis so that venous return from the lower extremities can be increased. If you experience feelings of dizziness to the extent of syncope (fainting), I advise you to wear graded compression hosiery extending up to the waist, thus helping to increase static pressure in the legs and decrease venous pooling in the lower extremities.

Autonomic nervous system problems, conduction defect in heart.

Take plenty of fluids with at least 3–5 g of common salt daily.
Avoid standing for long hours.

|