Q. Can food allergies cause palpitations? Taking Concor 5 for heart palpitations.

Answered by Dr. Sanjib K Sahu and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Atrial Fibrillation or Palpitations? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I had my first heart palpitations two years ago. One doctor prescribed me Ciplar LA 20 and Ecospirin 75 for three months. The doctor also suggested Dilzem or Flecarite on SOS basis. I got palpitation even after having the above medicines. Dilzem worked on as needed basis but since it was a strong medicine, I stopped taking it. After one year, I got all the tests done again and irregular heartbeat got detected in Holter monitoring. I have attached the reports.

Currently, I am on Concor 5 for two weeks starting two months ago. There are around two episodes per week but with this medication, duration and maximum heart rate have been controlled. Attached is the latest Holter monitoring test before 48 hours and 2D eco test reports. I need an opinion on:

• Can food allergies cause arrhythmia? I noticed palpitations just after having food items with cheese. Any test recommended to find out food allergies causing palpitation?
  • What are the long-term side effects of medicines?
  • What is the success rate of cardiac ablation? If required, should we go for burn or freeze ablation?