Q. Can food allergies cause palpitations? Taking Concor 5 for heart palpitations.

Dr. Sanjib K Sahu
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 12, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2019

I had my first heart palpitations two years ago. One doctor prescribed me Ciplar LA 20 and Ecospirin 75 for three months. The doctor also suggested Dilzem or Flecarite on SOS basis. I got palpitation even after having the above medicines. Dilzem worked on as needed basis but since it was a strong medicine, I stopped taking it. After one year, I got all the tests done again and irregular heartbeat got detected in Holter monitoring. I have attached the reports.

Currently, I am on Concor 5 for two weeks starting two months ago. There are around two episodes per week but with this medication, duration and maximum heart rate have been controlled. Attached is the latest Holter monitoring test before 48 hours and 2D eco test reports. I need an opinion on:

• Can food allergies cause arrhythmia? I noticed palpitations just after having food items with cheese. Any test recommended to find out food allergies causing palpitation?
  • What are the long-term side effects of medicines?
  • What is the success rate of cardiac ablation? If required, should we go for burn or freeze ablation?
#

You are suffering from paroxysmal atrial fibrillation and intermittent ectopic.

Food allergies will not cause this problem but if you take spicy food, have lack of sleep, mental or physical stress can aggravate the problem.

Usually, these medicines have no or little side effects. But at the same time, you need to take medicine.

Radiofrequency ablation is safe and effective. The success rate is 60 to 70 percent.

You need to discuss this with a specialist cardiologist and with an electrophysiologist. You need to continue the medicines on a long-term basis.

Concor (Bisoprolol) is a good drug and Ecosprin ( Atorvastatin and Aspirin) after food is good enough.

I hope you don’t have thyroid problem.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|