Q. Echo shows 60% ejection fraction and Holter shows 190 heart rate. Should I worry?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 07, 2020

I am 25 years old. I have palpitations for the past three months. No anemia, TFT is normal, MRI abdomen and chest are normal. Echo shows atherosclerotic aortic valve with ejection fraction 60%. Holter shows minimum HR-120 and maximum HR-190. I have associated fatigue at times, tremor and difficulty in breathing. Chest pain is aching sometimes and pins and needles more often. I have seronegative arthritis. Previously I had dengue, cerebral malaria and typhoid. I am currently taking Betacap TR 40 mg bd for one month then stopped. Clonazepam 0.5 mg bd for two months but no help.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine concerns. First of all, you have a high BMI (body mass index). Try to reduce the weight as you know it is high for this age and height.

Ejection fraction of 60% shows you have aortic stenosis due to sclerosed aortic valve. In this regard, we have to keep in mind that this much back pressure on the left ventricle with every heartbeat is making the ventricular walls and interventricular septum more thickened and dilated. Improper output is making your heart beat faster and it also reduces the cardiac output.

Stenosed aortic valve. Hindrance to outflow of blood.

Cardiac angiography.

Beta-adrenergic blocking agents are the mainstay of treatment to reduce heart rate and control palpitation and to reduce cardiac oxygen demand that has increased due to increased heart rate. Maybe we need cardiac ablation and also there may be a need for valvular replacement sometime later in life.

Avoid strenuous physical activity. No junk foods, caffeine, tea, coffee, chocolates, and energy drinks.

| 

Why are palpitations occurring even after pacemaker implantation?

Query: Hello doctor,My 71-year-old father was admitted to the hospital for palpitation occurrence and fast heart beating at 143 beats per minute. He was feeling dizziness in the morning. He was given injections to reduce the heart rate and has taken Holter monitoring for one day. He had previously undergon...  Read Full »

Severe heart palpitations in a 20-year-old man. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20-year-old healthy young man. I do not drink or smoke but I do work a lot. I work for 60 hours actually and just moved out of my house with my family. I got my own new place as well as trying to maintain a relationship with my current girlfriend. I do not really have any health...  Read Full »

I read we can hear our blood flow when in extremely silent zero DB room. Is it true?

Query: Hello doctor,This is more of science question, I read somewhere we can hear our blood flow when in extremely silent room zero DB room, Is that true?  Read Full »