HomeAnswersDiabetologyprediabetesI have been wearing the glucose monitoring sensor for 13 days out of curiosity.  Am I pre-diabetic?

What does my glucose monitoring device indicate?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At October 18, 2023
Reviewed AtOctober 18, 2023

Patient's Query

I have been wearing the glucose monitoring sensor for 13 days out of curiosity, and now I am concerned I may have pre-diabetes. I am interested in getting a professional opinion on my data from a diabetologist who has access to glucose monitoring sensor. I would like to know if tablet Metformin might be a suitable option for me (I do not need a prescription). Kindly help.

Thank you for your query.

I understand your concern for your health, but it is crucial to remember that attempting to self-diagnose and make decisions about medications without proper medical guidance can be risky. While the glucose monitoring sensor is a valuable tool for monitoring blood glucose levels, it should not be solely relied upon for diagnosing medical conditions or determining treatment plans.

If you have concerns about the data you have collected and suspect you may have pre-diabetes or any other health issues, it is advisable to consult a qualified healthcare professional. They can thoroughly evaluate your medical history, conduct appropriate tests, and provide expert guidance based on the results.

If you would like to get assistance or have questions about your health data, you can share it with me in the form of a PDF (portable document format ), and I can offer general information and guidance to help you understand the next steps that you might consider.

Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions.

Patient's Query

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I totally agree with self-diagnosing. I have attached the PDF report that you asked for.

During the first few days of using the sensor, I had been fasting intermittently (skipping breakfast and dinner). This type of diet was quite easy for me because I did not feel much hungry during the day when it was hot. Please note that my sleep is non-circadian. For the rest of the period of using the sensor, I had been traveling with a less strict diet, but still had a maximum of two meals per day. I do not usually drink soft drinks, but I did drink alcohol on many of the evenings in the sensor period. I did not involve in sports, but I frequently went for walks.

I do not like the resolution of these PDF reports, since the graphs are very small. So, I am going to describe what concerns me:

I am rarely reaching below 100 mg/dL. Even without any food intake for more than 16 hours, I cannot reach below 100 for extended periods unless I have been doing intermittent fasting the day before.

Sometimes it takes quite a while for my glucose to come down. Today, for example, I had a medium-sized breakfast, no lunch, a medium-large dinner, no alcohol, and no soft drinks. For the entire day, I was above 100 mg/dL. Still, many hours after dinner I am at 135 mg/dL (please refer the attached screenshot).

I do not know if this is relevant or good or bad, but I do not seem to get deep dips after my spikes, and it is more like a slow progress towards 110 mg/dL.

Please let me know what you think about these observations and what you think would be the most reasonable next step. I have got one day left with this sensor, so is there anything you want me to try? Kindly suggest.

As I can see from the PDF (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), the time range is 100 % which means that your glucose variability is nil, and your blood sugar is very well under control. We should not fix a value about RBS (random blood sugar) reading like it should be 110 mg/dL and so on.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Patient's Query

Time in range as per the PDF is not relevant as this range is for diabetics, and not for healthy adults. Please help.

Here are the targets:

1. Fasting blood glucose level should be less than 140 mg/dL.

2. Two hours post-meal levels should be less than 180 mg/dL.

3. Random blood glucose levels should be less than 140-160 mg/dL.

As I can see, your graph is touching 180 mg/dL occasionally. So yes, you fall in the pre-diabetic category for which no medicine is required. It can be completely controlled through exercise and diet alone.

I suggest you do the following:

1. Exercise for 30 min a day for five days a week.

2. Focus on weight reduction.

3. After three months, check your HbA1c (glycated haemoglobin), FBS (fasting blood sugar), pp2bs (postprandial 2-hour blood sugar), and fasting lipid profile reports.

Regarding that dip, it is completely normal. The dip should be gradual only. A sudden dip in sugar will cause symptoms like palpitation and perspiration. Regarding time in range, yes, it is relevant for diabetics as well as nondiabetics because ‘Time in range’ means the time for which your blood glucose remained in the range which is between 100 to 180 mg/dL. It is good that your blood glucose levels are not spiking above 180 mg/dL or falling below 100 mg/dL.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Kanani Darshan Jayantilal
Dr. Kanani Darshan Jayantilal

Family Physician

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

metforminprediabetes

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Diabetology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy