Prediabetes

Is fasting blood sugar 131 considered diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife's fasting glucose is 131. Her post lunch glucose level is 121 and urine does not contain sugar. Her HbA1c is 6. 2. Her height is 5.4 and weight is 68 kg. What to do now?  Read Full »

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. By these laboratory readings she has prediabetes. This should be treated. What to do will depend on a lot of factors. You have not provided any other medical history, family history, other medicines, lifestyle, etc. Revert back with the asked details to a diabetologis...  Read Full »

Should I worry about my postprandial blood sugar level which is less than fasting value?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 43 year old. My weight is 83 kg, and I do not have blood pressure. My fasting sugar is 102 and post prandial is 87. Why is it so? It is happening for the last three years. I am not able to reduce weight inspite of all exercises, and I eat just regular home meals with calorie cons...  Read Full »

Dr. Raveendran Sr

Sexologist, Diabetologist, Andrologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are a few reasons. 1. Pre-diabetes can have such results which means you are more prone to get diabetes. Increased PPBS (postprandial blood sugar) means your pancreas is working very hard to reduce your sugar. It is overworking where it will deplanes beta cell...  Read Full »

Why am I losing weight and always feel hungry?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 63 years old. My height is 6 feet, and I weigh 165 lbs. Overall I have maintained good health with stable CAD, chronic sinusitis and very fit. My recent stress echo shows excellent exercise tolerance and no blood flow blockage in coronary arteries. I have been taking these medication...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity) my opinion is as follows: Based on your reports, there is no abnormality. No signs of any lymphoma or leukemia. Weight loss of 2 kg over 3 months is normal. Dehydration can caus...  Read Full »

My HbA1c level is 6.3. Am I diabetic or pre-diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor,I took my HbA1c blood test and it came back 6.3. Am I diabetic or pre-diabetic? I have brought a change in my eating habits completely and exercising twice per day. Will this reduce my results in six months or I should take diabetic medicines?  Read Full »

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Diabetologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. HbA1c % 6.3 is considered a pre-diabetic state. Following are the criteria to diagnose diabetes: 1. Normal: FBG: 70 to 100 mg/100 ml, PP: less than 140 mg and HbA1c % less than 5.7. 2. Pre-diabetes: FBG: 101 to 125 mg, PP 141 to 199 mg and HbA1c % 5.7 to 6.4. 3. D...  Read Full »

Can I conceive with 100 kg weight?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 24 years old. My weight is 100 kg and height is 158 cm. I have attached my laboratory reports. I am presently taking Metformin 500 mg twice a day and Eltroxin 1000 mcg tablets. I stopped taking the tablets two days before the test was done. Can I conceive with this weight?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Considering you are obese, hypothyroid and still on supplementation, it indicates that serum insulin levels are high (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Hypothyroidism and anovulation could be a concern and you may be experiencing irregular menses. You...  Read Full »

My PP blood sugar level remains in the range of 150 to 176. How to reduce it?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 65 year old male. Before 12 years, I went for my first master checkup without symptoms. The result showed high 2 hours PPBG while FBG and A1c are normal. The consultant physician advised me to eat less at a time and increase the number of feeds in a day and encouraged me to check ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Diabetologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. On going through the details provided, it is clear that you are in a prediabetes situation. Following are the criteria for diagnosing diabetes: Normal: Fasting blood glucose (FBG) 70 to 110 mg, PP less than 140 mg and HbA1c% less than 5.9. Prediabetes: FBG 108 to...  Read Full »

Are high sugar and raised liver enzymes side effects of Protonix?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking Protonix for almost three weeks for acid reflux. I had some blood laboratory work done and it showed my AST 812 and ALT 1,115. Could this be a rare side effect of Protonix? My glucose also went up to 192 and lipase is 72. I do not drink, smoke or use drugs...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is this the only liver function test you have? I wanted to trend it. Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine) and Protonix (Pantoprazole) both can cause elevated liver function test, but it is relatively rare with Protonix. I also want to make sure that you are not using Aspir...  Read Full »

I had a blood sugar reading of 125. Am I diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a blood sugar reading of 125 this morning. I had last eaten at 11 PM. Am I diabetic?  Read Full »

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetologist, Family Physician, Microbiologist, Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Take a high-fiber, low-fat diet with enough proteins. Drink lot of water everyday. Take small meals at regular intervals of two to three hours. Avoid outside food completely. For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-docto...  Read Full »

How does Metformin help in conception?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, my wife had a fasting sugar level test. The insulin (fasting serum plasma chemiluminescence) was shown as 9.3 mcu/mL. We had recently consulted a gynecologist who said that the result is very near to borderline case and prescribed Metformin 500 mg tablets. As per the diagnostic ...  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The latest recommendations of the American Diabetic Association include prescribing Metformin to prediabetic patients, those who are at high risk of developing diabetes especially if under 60 years of age. Both, Metformin and lifestyle modifications as exercising...  Read Full »

I am worried I am diabetic as my mom is type 2. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 38 year old female with a weight of 58 kg. I do not have any symptoms but just happened to check my blood sugar with a glucometer. The first time random came 126. Then after few days, it was 144. Fasting once was 126 and my PP came 122. Today, I had green tea with honey and teste...  Read Full »

Dr. Suneetha B S

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. First of all, you need to stop worrying. You are not diabetic unless your tests show a blood sugar level of more than 200. Since you have a family history and your test results are inconsistent, you could be pre-diabetic. On the other hand,...  Read Full »