Q. My mother is taking six pills of 20 mg Prednisone every other day. Is it too much?

My 76 years old mother has a kidney infection. The doctor prescribed 20 mg Prednisone, and she is to take six pills every other day. I have taken Prednisone before, and I know the danger of this medication. Are six pills of 20 mg Prednisone every other day too much?

#

• Steroids are not used in infection. In fact, if a person has an infection, then steroids will flare it and result in septic shock, as they decrease immunity. If a doctor has prescribed it, that means the kidney infection is less likely. She might have some degree of acute renal failure, for which steroids are given.
  • The maximum dose of Prednisone is 1 to 1.5 mg per kg per day, but a high dose should never be given on alternate days, as it may have serious consequences.
  • I would suggest you confirm the reason for taking steroids. If it is an infection, then she should stop it and take some antibiotics. And if she has already taken it for more than a week, then stop slowly over four weeks by decreasing the dose slowly.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|