Q. Which medicine is recommended for diabetes instead of Sitaglu Met?

Dr. Shazli Naseer
Published on Oct 25, 2018

I am 40 years old, and my weight is 97 kilograms. I am a diabetic patient, and my A1C test showed a result of 9 %. I am taking Sitaglu Met 500 mg. It has not helped me. When I take it, within five minutes, my sugar level gets increased to 250 mg/dL and comes down again to 180 mg/dL or 190 mg/dL. Sometimes, it does not get reduced. My fasting blood sugar level is 180 mg/dL. I am thinking to change my medicines. Please suggest.

Dr. Shazli Naseer

Diabetology
#

Please verify the dose of Sitaglu Met. It is a combination medication. It has two medicines Sitagliptin and Metformin. Please mention whether you take 50 mg/500 mg or 50 mg/1000 mg dose. Please send a picture of it. Medication alone cannot control diabetes. Determining the type of diabetes is essential. There is a possibility that you may have type 1, so appropriate testing is required.

You are overweight for your age, and the blood sugar is high. If your diabetic level is not controlled at this stage, it can lead to kidney problem and vision problem in two to three years. Both are irreversible once they get developed. Have control in your diet. If you are surely diagnosed with type 2, I can suggest you take Glucophage 1000 mg (Metformin) daily and Linagliptin injection. It is not insulin. It controls the blood sugar, and it helps to lose weight.

Related Video

My mom feels dizzy and weak with diabetes medicine. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 53 years old. She is a diabetic and under medication. Her list of medications is as follows: For diabetes, Glyciphage SR 1 gm (1-0-1) and Volibo 0.2 (0-1-0). For cholesterol, Stator 10 (0-0-1) and for stamina, Stamina-OD (1-0-0). Under medication, her sugar levels before ...  Read Full »

What diet can be given to prevent dialysis and control creatinine level in a diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a male, 68 years old, diabetic, with chronic kidney disease, and creatinine level 5.96. What diet should be given to prevent dialysis and control creatinine level?  Read Full »

Please help me lower my blood sugar levels.

Query: Hello doctor, I have diabetes since the last 11 to 12 years, and I started taking medicines given by my family doctor. Presently, I am taking Glimisave M2 (one tablet in the morning and evening), Dynaglipt 20 (one tablet in the morning), and Absolut 3G (one in the evening). My health is fine, and I...  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now