Q. Which medicine is recommended for diabetes instead of Sitaglu Met?

Dr. Shazli Naseer

I am 40 years old, and my weight is 97 kilograms. I am a diabetic patient, and my A1C test showed a result of 9 %. I am taking Sitaglu Met 500 mg. It has not helped me. When I take it, within five minutes, my sugar level gets increased to 250 mg/dL and comes down again to 180 mg/dL or 190 mg/dL. Sometimes, it does not get reduced. My fasting blood sugar level is 180 mg/dL. I am thinking to change my medicines. Please suggest.

Dr. Shazli Naseer

Diabetology
#

Please verify the dose of Sitaglu Met. It is a combination medication. It has two medicines Sitagliptin and Metformin. Please mention whether you take 50 mg/500 mg or 50 mg/1000 mg dose. Please send a picture of it. Medication alone cannot control diabetes. Determining the type of diabetes is essential. There is a possibility that you may have type 1, so appropriate testing is required.

You are overweight for your age, and the blood sugar is high. If your diabetic level is not controlled at this stage, it can lead to kidney problem and vision problem in two to three years. Both are irreversible once they get developed. Have control in your diet. If you are surely diagnosed with type 2, I can suggest you take Glucophage 1000 mg (Metformin) daily and Linagliptin injection. It is not insulin. It controls the blood sugar, and it helps to lose weight.

|