Q. Please suggest diet to prevent dialysis and control creatinine level in a diabetic.

Dr. Shazli Naseer

I am a male, 68 years old, diabetic, with chronic kidney disease, and creatinine level 5.96. What diet should be given to prevent dialysis and control creatinine level?

#

Reviewing the laboratory results (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the patient has already developed significant damage, creatinine is too high and has already secondary hyperparathyroidism. Type 2 diabetes with renal complication. Dialysis is unavoidable, at this stage. To control diabetes and further renal damage, must avoid Metformin and must avoid a high dose of DD-4 or extended release Sulfonylurea. A safe option is low dose DD-4 or Insulin low dose weight adjusted. Keep diet in moderation for protein, does not need high protein diet and must follow up with nephrology.

|