Q. Can preeclampsia occur again in second pregnancy if I had it in my first pregnancy?

Dr. Ridhi Narang

I am a 29-year-old mother with a 1.5-year-old child. I faced pre-eclampsia during my first delivery, and recently I got to know that I am three months pregnant. I am confused about whether I would face the same condition during my second pregnancy. My gynecologist said there are chances for pre-eclampsia in second pregnancy as well. I wish to avoid pre-eclampsia, so what should I do to prevent it this time?

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

Pre-eclampsia is more common in the first pregnancy, but once you have it in the first pregnancy, it increases the chances of having it in the second pregnancy.

I suggest you get one Doppler ultrasound in the first trimester, and if needed, you can be started on Ecosprin (Atorvastatin and Aspirin) tablets.

You can consult your local doctor or me for the test report assessment.

Thanks.

|