Q. How can urine infection in a postpartum preeclampsia patient be treated?

My 36-year-old wife has a urine infection. She was diagnosed with postpartum preeclampsia after two days of delivery of a female child. She had high blood pressure at the time of delivery but now it is normal. Her average blood pressure is 110/75. She had a severe urinary infection before the birth of the baby. The infection was not controlled after birth too and an antibiotic was given. As per urine culture report, blood tests, and the doctor's prescription, antibiotic and other medicines were given but the infection has not improved at all. What should be done?

#

I would suggest you to repeat urine culture and drug sensitivity to determine the bacteria causing infection and the antibiotic to which it is sensitive.

Few bacteria which cause urinary infection in women develop resistance very easily and become difficult to treat.

So I suggest you get another urine culture and sensitivity and discuss with her treating doctor a combination of antibiotics which can be more effective than a single drug.

Also, carry out an ultrasound of the abdomen to rule out any abdominal source of infection.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

| 

My 7 year old daughter has repeated urine infections. How to clear it out?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter aged 7 years has a urine infection. We have done a urine culture as well as regular analysis and found that there is an infection. She has this problem from a long time. She has a bad habit of holding her urine for a long time until she can hold it no more.  Read Full »

I have recurrent infections due to preauricular sinus. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a preauricular sinus on my left ear. It has not really caused any problems, until recently when I started experiencing recurrent infections. During the first infection, I took Ornilox, and it really worked. However, with subsequent infections, it has not really helped. Can you ...  Read Full »

Why are my liver enzymes and bilirubin levels elevated?

Query: Dear doctor, Here is my lab report: Bilirubin total: 2.2 Bilirubin Direct: 1.5 SGPT: 4548 SGOT: 4153 I have taken drip and injection for nausea. Now nausea has been cured. I have only abdomen pain now, and my fever has been cured before three days. Color of urine is yellow and color of stools is...  Read Full »