Q. What are the chances of conceiving after an ectopic pregnancy?

and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on May 25, 2019

Two years ago, I suffered from a miscarriage and had undergone D and C. I am suffering from hypothyroidism and on Thyronorm 75 mg, and now the levels are normal. After six months of D and C, I got pregnant while on ovulation induction treatment, and unfortunately, that was an ectopic. My right tube is now blocked as I had undergone surgery. The tube is not removed, but the tube is blocked.

It has been a year since I had surgery. I am trying to conceive, but I am not able to. My doctor put me on Letrozole, and it is my fourth cycle for it. During the first cycle, the ovulation was on left tube with ET 6.5 mm, and I did not conceive. Next two were on the right side, so no chance. Now again luckily it is on the left with ET 7.8 mm on day 16. What are my chances of conceiving, and is there a risk of ectopic again? My left tube is clear HSG test was done. Kindly explain to me.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

No matter which side the ovulation occurs, the egg will fall into the peritoneal cavity and moves into the available open tube through which it enters the uterus. Since you had one ectopic pregnancy, you have a higher chance of repeat tubal pregnancy. But since HSG (hysterosalpingography) shows a patent tube, you also have a high chance of normal uterine pregnancy. The only chance is to have a pregnancy and have an early scan to confirm pregnancy inside uterus. I hope I have clarified your query, do write back if you have any more questions, for feedback.

Will I get an ectopic pregnancy if I had sex on the date of period?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a query about my period. My actual due date for my period was 28th of last month. I had unprotected sex on the 27th. I waited two days for my period and I took emergency contraceptive on the last minute to 72 hour. My period got delayed for eight days and got it on the 5th of thi...  Read Full »

How to avoid recurrence of ectopic pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife had an ectopic pregnancy seven months ago. Through a surgery right side fallopian tube was removed at that time. Now what kind of treatment does she need to avoid ectopic pregnancy again? Please suggest.  Read Full »

How to identify an ectopic pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I have attached my report. Can you please have a look and let me know is it a cyst or an ectopic pregnancy?  Read Full »