Q. I am pregnant and my urine had an orange discharge with beige solid pieces. Why?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Khurana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

I have a query regarding a possible miscarriage. I am five weeks pregnant and I woke up with abdominal pain and found a discharge in my urine that looks like small pieces of solids (beige color with a fluid inside) and with small pieces of what looks like tissue. There was no blood and just orange discharge. However, I am on Progesterone. So, the orange discharge may be from that. I am concerned about the solid pieces. I went to a doctor and they did an ultrasound and said my cervix is still closed and both gestational sacs (I am pregnant with twins) are still there. I also did a blood test and my beta has been doubling as it should (currently at 1734 at 5 weeks). Could this discharge be something else? Does this sound like a miscarriage if there is no bleeding and the cervix is still closed? I cannot stop worrying.

#

No, this is the effect of the medicine. The discharge normally increases during pregnancy. And, if you are using vaginal suppositories, it may be because of staining.

If the ultrasound shows everything is normal, then do not worry as your beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) is good with doubling values.

Do take rest. Do not exert yourself. Avoid intercourse.

Get pregnancy tests done like:

1. Hemogram.
  2. FBS (fasting blood sugar).
  3. Thyroid profile.
  4. HIV (human immunodeficiency virus).
  5. HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen),
  6. HCV (hepatitis C virus),
  7. VDRL (venereal disease research laboratory).
  8. Hemoglobin electrophoresis,
  9. Urine routine exam.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you so much. I am just following up on my previous question. So, just to confirm - this attached picture of discharge does not look like a miscarriage? There were some similar colored tissues next to it. My doctor said it might be kidney stones but that it is not related to pregnancy or miscarriage. Do you think the same?

#

I have gone through the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I remember you have a twin pregnancy and the ultrasound shows two gestational sacs with heart activity in it.

Keep taking your medicines properly. Gradually, this discharge will reduce.

Watch out for any alarming signs such as bleeding and pain in the abdomen.

You can get one ultrasound done of early pregnancy after two to three weeks. Get an ultrasound at 11 to 13 weeks to look for any abnormality.

Yes, but it is still less than six weeks. So, no heartbeat or yolk sac has been seen yet, just the gestational sac. Do you think what you see in the pictures could be kidney stones? Should I see a doctor regarding that? I do not have any bleeding (just the orange discharge) and the pain the night before I urinated. Then when all these solid discharge came out, the pain was gone and no more pain since then. I have also attached the ultrasound report.

#

• I have seen the ultrasound reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) with a good decidual reaction. You can get an ultrasound done after a week to look for the appearance of cardiac activity.
  • On the TVS (transvaginal scan) scan by five to six weeks, the heart activity can be seen.
  • Do you have a history of kidney stones? Is there any urinary problem like increased frequency of urination, burning while passing urine. etc. You can get a urine routine test done to look for RBC and pus cells.

|