Q. Is air travel safe during pregnancy?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2020

I am 9 weeks pregnant. I had a mild perigestational hemorrhage during the 5th week. After taking medications, there is no subchorionic hematoma. Can I take an air travel of two and half hours to my native at the end of this month as I do not have anyone here to take care of me. 

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

•  There is no evidence to suggest that flying while pregnant is harmful for either you or your baby if you are having a straightforward pregnancy. There are some safety guidelines for air travel during pregnancy that you should be aware of. 
  • You should carry a minimum hand luggage and place your belt looselyWalk after 45 minutes of interval, if it is a long journey.
  •  If you do not have any bleeding at present, nondiabetic and normotensive, then you can proceed for a flight travel. 
  • A mild perigestational hemorrhage (hemorrhage around the fetus) has nothing to avoid a flight travel.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.-->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Due to air travel, is there a possibility of miscarriage?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• There was never a risk of miscarriage due to air travel till date. But, the fact is miscarriage can occur at any time to anybody and often the cause could not be found.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.-->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|