Q. Does miscarriage affect fertility?

Dr. Gowrimeena
Published on Jun 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2018

I am a 36 year old male and my wife is 31 years old. We got married before two years and had not planned for pregnancy. My wife's medical history is as follows. Two years before her thyroid level was near 18 and she took regular medicine. Now her thyroid level came down between 2 and 3 after taking thyroid medicine of 75 mcg. Before a year, she had severe body pain. So, we consulted an orthopedician and he recommended some test to rule out vitamin D deficiency. By taking three doses of vitamin D injections we managed the vitamin D level. At the same time, she had severe knee pain and the doctor confirmed her CMP. For this she took knee pain injections and some physiotherapy exercises. We had planned for pregnancy before one year. Then, unfortunately she got a miscarriage and started taking Folic acid after consulting her gynecologist. As per doctor's advice we planned for conception before two months. But, the problem is after miscarriage she is getting abdomen pain at the time of ovulation. Before four to five months, she got the pain during ovulation for around three to four days. Since we had planned for conception, she is getting severe pain in her abdomen and back pain until her cycle around 14 to 15 days. Every time when we consult gynecologist, she used to take transvaginal ultrasound and reported no problem in her ovaries, fallopian tubes and uterus. But, the doctor mentioned that she has polycystic ovary. As her cycles are regular there is no need to worry about it. She has severe pain from 15 days of her ovulation, but could not find out the reason. Please help us.

Dr. Gowrimeena

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Detailed information given by yourself is very useful to give you further direction in the planning of the baby.

• Generally, apart from doing routine prepregnancy checks, we need to do fertility related tests, including ovulation that have egg release confirmation through scan like follicular scan, tube testing, semen testing, etc.
  • Also, check whether you are protected from the chicken pox virus and rubella virus.
  • As for the pain you have mentioned apart from doing a scan, laparoscopy may be helpful to find out the reason and check the tubes and treat the polycystic ovaries at the same time.
  • One miscarriage does not have much impact on future pregnancy. There is a good chance that your next pregnancy will be fine.
  • I suggest you to continue with Folvite (Folic acid) or simple pain medicines or vitamin D supplements in the meanwhile and plan for laparoscopy.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

How much Folic acid is required during pregnancy in Crohn's patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I have Crohn's disease and am pregnant. The first day of my last period was before 40 days and I have been taking multivitamins which includes 400 micrograms of Folic acid for the past four months. I am now pregnant. The doctor said that I need 5 mg of Folic acid due to the Crohns whi...  Read Full »

What vitamin deficiency causes muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, For about 10 days, I have muscle twitching in my calf, thighs and also in my eyes. I am worried about it. I got my blood test done. It showed that I have a severe vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency. My vitamin B12 was around 50 ng/L. Can these deficiencies be the cause for having muscl...  Read Full »