Q. I had miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy in the last six months. Is it endometriosis?

Answered by
Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Hi doctor,

I am recently trying to get pregnant and in the past six months, have had a miscarriage and an ectopic pregnancy. I am wondering if there is a chance I have endometriosis. I am wondering this because I have no other risks/causes that could have caused the ectopic. There is no chance I could have an STD because my husband and I both waited until after we were married. I am young, just 29. I have never smoked, had an abortion, had fertility treatments, or have had surgery. I also do not have an IUD.

Do you think the chance I may have it is big enough that it should be brought up with my gynecologist? I forgot to mention I have had one successful pregnancy two years ago.

Also, I recently had a Pap smear two months ago and everything was normal. I have never had a bad result from a Pap smear. When it comes to symptoms, it is tricky because I feel they are very similar to menstrual cycle symptoms. I do have painful cramps on the heaviest day of my period. The cramps last for a couple of days. I have bad mood swings and bloating. I do have painful intercourse more recently. It always hurt occasionally in the past, but recently it is much worse. I also have spotting right before my period and right after.

Do you have a question on Delayed Conception or Pid?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

How are you doing?

From your history, the only problem I feel is the problem which could happen to the tube. Your history of having a tubal pregnancy and severe pain during sex, that is dyspareunia, means that there is some problem which is happening around the uterus and the tubes. So, it could be endometriosis or could be a pelvic inflammatory disease. It need not always be an STD (sexually transmitted disease), it can be common pelvic inflammatory diseases (PID) too.

You definitely have a good chance to get pregnant, keeping in mind your previous pregnancy and history of tubal pregnancy.

If I may suggest:

  1. Meet an obstetrician. You will need an examination, look for any PID, you and your partner will need a good course of antibiotics.
  2. A pelvic scan to rule out any other problems like endometriosis or an ovarian cyst.
  3. Evaluation of the fallopian tube by HSG (X-ray with dye)/SSG (scan with dye)/laparoscopy. If any block is found, it has to be cleared.

I would give more chances for infection. Infection can cause the embryo to get stuck in the tube (ectopic), unhealthy implementation in uterus and miscarriage and also severe pain during sex. Also, it is associated with vaginal discharge and itching after sex and around periods.

Hope I have clarified your query.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

Why are faint T lines appearing on urine pregnancy tests, while ultrasounds say I am not pregnant?
Query: Hi doctor, I have been trying to conceive for a few months, but every time the test comes back negative. My last periods was on the 25th of last month, and I started ovulating on the third of this month, and it ended on the 12th. My husband and I had sex on the fifth. Despite my history of irregular...  Read Full »
Dr. Vidya
Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two possibilities here. One is a chemical pregnancy, where only the pregnancy test result come positive, and there is no evidence of sac on ultrasound. Second being a healthy pregnancy is a delayed conception or an ectopic. I suggest you do a serum beta hCG b...  Read Full »
How to confirm if I have a pelvic inflammatory disease?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19 year old female, and I was diagnosed with a pelvic inflammatory disease, five days back. Today my primary doctor called and said my test results were all negative. Does that mean the PID was false? Have I been cleared from STD or STI? I was prescribed Doxycycline and Metronidazo...  Read Full »
Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) diagnosis is typically based on presenting signs and symptoms of the patient. There may be fever, lower abdominal pain, new or different discharge, pain during intercourse, irregular bleeding, cervical motion tenderness, or uterine tender...  Read Full »
Having backache badly and vagina smelly discharge. Can you suggest any treatments?
Query: Hi doctor,I am sexually active with one partner only. I am not well for the last 4 months. I am having bad backache and a smelly, white thick sometimes brown color vaginal discharge, lower abdomen pain and vaginal pain while urination. I have consulted my gynecologist and took proper medicine. Now a...  Read Full »
Dr. Yelamanchili Alekhya
General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is the most common cause of infertility if not treated in early stages. Follow the instructions and antibiotics given by your doctor and have a scan done. So, that you will come to know the progress of the disease. Do not...  Read Full »


Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Doctor Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.