Q. Is it advisable to get pregnant immediately after recovering from COVID-19?

Dr. Nisha Marhatta
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I have a history of first pregnancy and did a medical abortion. Then I did D&C for removing remained products of conception. Within three months, I got conceived again. I was given progesterone injections for ruling out the chances of having a miscarriage. Then I had a medical abortion again and I did a D&C again. It was done before a year. Then, I was taking 21 days of contraceptive pills for few days. Before three months, I got contracted with COVID-19. Due to a lot of tablets, I forgot to take 21 days of contraceptive pills and then I stopped taking them. I got recovered from COVID before two months. After stopping my contraceptive pills, my periods became irregular. Before that, my periods were regular on time. I have a cycle of 28 to 29 days. Now, I have to get my periods at the starting of this month. But I have not got my periods. By this time, I should have got my periods. But it is late and yesterday, I had a bit of bleeding. My vaginal discharge was very light in red color. I did a home pregnancy test and it came back negative. I do not want to have a baby right now due to COVID-19. I think that I have to get vaccinated first and then I can plan for a baby. I am so worried now. If I am pregnant now, will this baby survive? Can I have a miscarriage? Kindly suggest.

#

I understand your perturbed situation at this moment. But together we can find a solution. As you have said, you missed the course of OCP (oral contraceptive pills) for few days. Yes, there are chances for you to be pregnant. But your urine test is negative and you are overdue too. You can wait for a week and repeat the test. You can also do a serum beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotrophin). I suggest you go ahead with this plan and get back to me. If you have conceived, then there is no indication shown in your body to terminate this pregnancy. So you can go ahead with strict vigilance and I will discuss this with you once you get back to me after a week.

I read that having more than one D&C can make the cervix lose and it can cause problems for delivery. So they gave me some Mcdonald stitch in the cervix and removed it in the eight-month. I am worried about whether this pregnancy will work for me. Is it safe to get conceived early just after recovering from COVID-19?

#

Yes, you can go ahead if it has already happened. If you have not conceived, my answer would be different. Yes, D&C (dilation and curettage) leads to incompetence occasionally if it is not done properly. But it does not occur in everyone.

|