Q. Is it only possible to conceive when ovulating?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 05, 2021

I had protected intercourse after three days of getting my periods. My partner was wearing condoms. He ejaculated outside me. Can I become pregnant? When can I have pregnancy symptoms? I heard that conception is possible in women only when we have sex in the ovulation period. Please help.

#

Pregnancy is possible only when you have unprotected sexual intercourse around ovulation. You can have sex from five to six days before getting ovulation and follow it till the day after ovulation. In a woman having a cycle of 28 to 30 days, ovulation normally occurs on the 14th or 15th day of the cycle. The day of getting periods is counted as one. From your description, you had protected sex and it does not happen during ovulation and so there is less likely chance to have a pregnancy. The first symptom of pregnancy is missing the expected period. All the other symptoms may or may not occur in early pregnancy. So if you miss your next period, then you need to do a urine pregnancy test at home by three to four days after the expected date of getting periods to know whether you are pregnant. If the period comes on time with a normal flow, then pregnancy is ruled out.

|