Q. Is it only possible to conceive when ovulating?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 05, 2021

I had protected intercourse after three days of getting my periods. My partner was wearing condoms. He ejaculated outside me. Can I become pregnant? When can I have pregnancy symptoms? I heard that conception is possible in women only when we have sex in the ovulation period. Please help.

#

Pregnancy is possible only when you have unprotected sexual intercourse around ovulation (from 5-6days before ovulation till a day after ovulation). In a woman with cycles of 28-30 days, ovulation normally occurs on 14/15th day of cycle (day of start of menses counted as day one). From your description, sex was protected one & it didn't happen around ovulation, so pregnancy is very less likely. First symptom of pregnancy will be missing your next expected period. All other symptoms may or may not occur (like nausea/vomiting) in early pregnancy. So if you miss your next period, you can do one urine pregnancy test at home 3-4 days after expected date of period to know whether you are pregnant. If period comes on time & flow is normal, pregnancy is ruled out.

|