Q. Had sex before two days of periods. What is the chance of pregnancy?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 27, 2019

We had sex before 2 days of her period. She had a pill after 64 hours. She got her periods but it has been continuing for six days. What is the chance of pregnancy? Please help.

#

• If she has resumed her menses then there is no chance of pregnancy.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thanks a lot. But, her period is continuing for the sixth day today. Is there any health issue? Or is it due to any side effect?

#

• It can cause further bleeding due to irregular shedding and withdrawal and not allowing estrogenization of the endometrium which is supposed to happen otherwise during the follicular pass of menstrual cycle. So it is likely that she may be passing blood clots as well.
  • This can continue for few more days and then shall subside naturally once the effect of progesterone ends.
  • If the bleeding is heavy and she is changing 4-5 sanitary pads daily even on sixth day then she can opt for antifibrinolytics like tablet Tranexamic acid 500 mg twice a day for three days to reduce or stop the bleeding.
  • There would be associated abdominal cramps as well which can be controlled by antispasmodics. So, she should start tablet Trapic-MF one tablet twice a day for three days. It is a combination of Tranexamic acid and Mefenamic acid. This should help. Please follow up with response.

Revert back to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

She is having her normal period but a lengthy one. And we had sex two days before her periods. If it is due to side effect then how long can we expect the bleeding?

#

• As sex was two days before the start of menses, there is no chance of pregnancy at all as fertilization would not have occurred as ovum would have degenerated already and also the endometrium has been shed during menses preventing any implantation.
  • Secondly, bleeding is because as you said after 64 hours you took the i-pill which would be on the second day of her already started menses and hence the bleeding is continuing as a side effect of i-pill.
  • This shall reduce in another 3-4 days naturally once estrogen levels rise naturally and progesterone levels as increased by i-pill shall decrease.
  • Considering that the bleeding is not much as of now as stated by you, you can opt to wait for 3 days for menses to stop and if it does not then you may take tablet Trapic-MF as advised to stop the bleed. 
  • It is important to keep her well hydrated as excessive bleeding can cause decrease in blood volume and often dizziness episodes and weakness. So, you need to take care of that.

Thanks for your reply. If she become ill due to continuous bleeding, how to overcome it? Can any change happen in her next period cycle? Does this effect will further lead to irregular periods and health issues? If so, what to do?

#

• In that case you may start tablet Trapic-MF from tomorrow itself with twice a day dosage and to be continued for three to five days till bleeding stops completely.
  • The next menses would be delayed by a week or so and this is a common side effect of i-pill or any emergency contraceptive pill. But again it is not seen in all women.
  • It is advised that at least in this cycle you should practice barrier contraception to prevent pregnancy and from next cycle if she desires then she can be started on low dose oral contraceptive pills on a regular basis to prevent pregnancy which is a safe mode of contraception as well and also shall regularize her cycles again.
  • But as of now start the tablet as advised. Let me know after 48 hours how has she responded.

Revert back after 48 hours to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|