Q. Is it advisable to take Tranlok-E during pregnancy?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 20, 2020

I am a 26 year old female. I have checked my pregnancy test on the 8th of this month and my last LMP was on the 5th of last month. I have consulted the doctor, he confirmed my pregnancy and prescribed me capsule Gestafine 200 (Progesterone soft gelatin 200) one capsule per day for 15 days and Folvite 5 mg one tablet per day for 15 days. After a week, I found some brown discharge. Then, My doctor did a scan and said that the baby growth is not well for the one month of pregnancy. She said that there is a 50% chance of miscarriage. So, she prescribed Aspirin gastro-resistant tablet IP 50 mg one tablet per day for 15 days and Tranlok-E two tablets per day for three days. As my brown discharge did not stop, again, I went to the doctor. She has done an ultrasonic scan and told me that the baby has started to grow. Now, she prescribed IM HUCOG 5000 one injection, IM Susten 200 one injection, Tranlok-E three tablets per day for 5 days, Duphastone 10 mg three tablets per day for 10 days, Susten 200 one tablet per day for 10 days, Folvite 5 mg one tablet per day for 10 days and Aspirin gastro-resistant IP 50 mg one tablet per day for 10 days. As of now my brown discharge has stopped. I tried to approach you this time, because on the internet I found that Tranlok-E is prescribed to stop uncontrolled bleeding in menstrual periods and it is not mentioned for pregnant women. Since, I am pregnant, I just want to confirm whether there is any side effect in the above mentioned tablets. Shall I continue those medicines?. Please help me.

#

I understand your query completely here.

• Tranlok-E (combination of Tranexamic acid and Ethamsylate) is an antifibrinolytic. They prevent the blood clot from breaking and hence helps in controlling bleeding.
  • There are insufficient data regarding the safety of Tranexamic acid in pregnant and breastfeeding women. This drug may be used in pregnant and breastfeeding women, if the benefits outweigh the risks.
  • In general practice, during early pregnancy, Tranexamic acid and Ethamsylate should not be used along with progesterones like Susten and Duphaston at all as they are contraindicated.
  • The bleeding during early pregnancy is often due to implantation and luteal phase defect (LPD) where progesterone deficiency is seen and implantation takes time.
  • Once progesterone support is initiated with Susten and Duphaston by six weeks of gestation, as the baby grows and fetal pole is seen in the gestational sac, then one can be sure that this is not a miscarriage and pregnancy is growing. So, I do not agree with Tranlok-E being used, but you shall continue the remaining medication.
  • You are seven weeks and one day pregnant as on date. So, if the fetal heart rate has arrived and bleeding has stopped for more than three days, then you can consider yourself safe. But, Tranlok-E should be avoided.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|