Q. Why do I feel that my heart is squeezing and has skipped a beat?

Dr. Isaac Gana

I have a feeling that I have skipped my heartbeats, and my heart is squeezing. It has been there on and off for years, and it is more frequent now. I am not taking any medications. Kindly help.

#

I can understand your concern. You have PAC (premature atrial contractions). These are harmless and do not pose a threat. However, do you ever experience shortness of breath or dizziness? Do you have any history of fainting? Have you ever been diagnosed with any heart disease?

I have not been diagnosed with any heart diseases and have had a stress test that did not show anything. Is there anything that would cause these PACs?

#

The majority of the time, PACs are benign and do not pose any threat. Sometimes it can be caused by underlying heart diseases, and based on your description, it is most likely not due to heart disease. In only a few does it proceed to serious arrhythmias like atrial fibrillation. If your episodes become too rapid and disturbing, I will suggest medication.

Best regards.

|