Q. Is it possible that my calcium level is shortening QT interval?

Is it normal to have QT Interval of 320 ms on frequency 76 bpm for a 20-year-old male? Is it possible that my level of calcium is the thing which is shortening my QT? My calcium is 2,54 mmol/L. Is it too less? I still feel something around my heart, mainly when I am in stress. Currently, I am taking Metoprolol. Previously I used to take Amlodipine.

#

I have gone through your ECG (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I do not think, you have SQTS (short QT syndrome). I guess you do not have any family history of sudden cardiac death or ventricular tachycardia or of electrical shocks for cardiac reasons.

Your calcium is normal. Although there is no exact cut off for the diagnosis of short QT syndrome, it is usually seen in patients with QTc of 360 msec ( not in all patients with this). And most patients with SQTS have QTc less than 340 msec (range 220 to 340 msec). Yours is 367 msec (QTc). Also, according to Rautaharju's formula, your QT is borderline (which is nearly 88 percent of predicted, short QT is less than 88 percent and very short is less 80 percent). So your QT is borderline and does not entirely qualify for short QT syndrome. So I do not think, there is much need to worry about it. Even in patients with short QT or very short QT, all will not have short QT syndrome.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

You clearly made my phobia more tolerable. But, is there still any possibility of the symptoms I have that it is SQTS? (It is like the skipped beat for one or more time a day. I feel it more when I am at rest than in exercise).

#

Skipped beats are likely a VPC (ventricular premature complexes) or PAC (premature atrial contractions), which are quite common and most of the times are benign. Their presence does not mean any significant illness. So we either cannot rule in or out using these. However, the presence of tachycardia, dizziness, presyncope or syncope are more important symptoms and should be evaluated if they are there.

Also, according to the scoring system, you fall into the low-risk category. You may get ECG done for your first degree relatives to see QTc and subsequent risk in you. Also, you may go for genetic testing to convince yourself although it is not necessary for you.

|